Leave the list climbers alone!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
CSUMarmot

Leave the list climbers alone!

by CSUMarmot » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:39 am

After a while in the mountain-climbing community I have observed a general dislike of the 'list' climbers, but I'll just throw in my two cents here:

I have 3 lists I wish to complete (1) Every named destination in Rocky Mountain National Park (2) Every summit in Larimer County and (3) the Colorado 14ers.

When people think of lists they usually point to a some arbitrary aggregation of mountains that are the '100 tallest or whatever in your awesome little state' and bitch about how these lists give climbers tunnel-vision that makes them skip a perfectly worthy summit thats maybe the 101st tallest or maybe the 4000th tallest. Well guess what--

1. Not all lists are the same, they aren't all about elevation or prominence. I want to climb every summit in Larimer County not only because its an accomplishment (400+ summits on the list) but because it will make me climb some little 9000 foot mountain in a remote area that I would never climb if it wasn't on the list. Every named destination in RMNP makes me visit lakes, meadows and passes that wouldnt be on some old peak list.

2. Lists can make you very familiar with a certain area, but can also expand your horizons. By the time I cross off every named destination in RMNP I will be sick to death with the Glacier Gorge area, but maybe I'll decide I like hiking in the area of that 9000' secluded peak I never climbed before. I dont make it down to southern Colorado very often, but I'll be heading down there multiple times if I want to climb the 14ers.

3. Lists dont have to bind you to particular goals. Whats to stop me from climbing a 13,999' peak outside of RMNP in Boulder county? Thats right, nothing. Its not like once you have a list you must show full commitment to it until you've crossed every peak off of it. When I see this picture:

I go, "Aww damn, I really want to climb Ellingwood Ridge but unfortunately I've got this 400 peak list chained to my ankle! I guess I'll have to wait 20 years for when I've completed all of my ambitions to venture onto something outside of my lists!"

4. My list will give me new skills. 'Every named destination in RMNP' and Larimer County peaks involve multiple technical summits. I dont know how to rock climb, therefore, in order to cross off all of those peaks I need to learn how to rock climb. I wasnt planning to learn how to rock climb, but I have a list to complete!

So if you quit all of your bitching about how lists are bad because they give people 400 reasons to climb something and discover new places, I'll promise not to spray about my accomplishments. Deal?
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
Dean, Marmaduke, PellucidWombat

lcarreau

Re: Leave the list climbers alone!

by lcarreau » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:47 am

Sorry man ... but this REMINDS me of the immortal LOCOMOTIVE BREATH ..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWubhw8SoBE[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Pete Castricone

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:03 am

lcarreau wrote:Sorry man ... but this REMINDS me of the immortal LOCOMOTIVE BREATH ..

Saw them in concert about a week ago with Kansas. Ian Anderson is still as enthusiastic and energetic as ever.
NoCo Chris

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 pm

The listless are listless about list lust.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:01 am

I gave up on any list over 30 years ago. When I did, found I had more time to actually climb and enjoyed it that much more. Found more obscurities which I always had to myself and got on more routes that way.

"Tick List" climbs attract the masses. That entails lines and lots of people on route and all that BS. Going out and just climbing entails just that with almost always NO one on route. More fun and a much richer adventure and challenge.

Don't even want to report/spray about any of them obscure routes. Gotta keep quiet so the peace & quiet will remain there.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
Blair, FRhoderick

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:27 pm

knoback wrote:You can follow my tweets along the way,

The funny thing is when I get cellphone reception from the summits I do tweet my location. But thats not spraying because no one in the climbing community follows me!
NoCo Chris

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:33 pm

make sure to 'climb' Everest. I heard it adds some extra challenge having an oxygen mask on while 'climbing' (but with fixed lines and a personal sherpa you will be fine)

The following user would like to thank Vitaliy M. for this post
CSUMarmot, Dow Williams

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:23 am

What encouraged you to start this thread? Did someone make fun of your list?

I have a list of things I want to do too, but my list is picked according to MY taste.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:38 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:What encouraged you to start this thread? Did someone make fun of your list?

I have a list of things I want to do too, but my list is picked according to MY taste.

No one would dare make fun of my lists, I've just noticed a general dislike of the concept of having a list. Certain people think lists are corrupting people into thinking that whatever is on the list is all that's worthy of your attention (which is a legitimate complaint, i've seen people take lists too seriously, I just wanted to make it clear that not all lists are the same and shouldnt automatically be considered 'bad')
NoCo Chris

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:58 am

I'm proud of my list of peaks that aren't on lists.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
fredzurensick

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:20 am

i obsess over lists to finish them and thus free myself from them so i can focus on only the stuff i want to do...ie my own personal list(s)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:52 am

Taco wrote:I'd follow a list, but I'd forget where I put it. Aimless wandering is easier.

+1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6lymJy57E[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 am

CSUMarmot wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:What encouraged you to start this thread? Did someone make fun of your list?

No one would dare make fun of my lists, I've just noticed a general dislike of the concept of having a list. Certain people think lists are corrupting people into thinking that whatever is on the list is all that's worthy of your attention (which is a legitimate complaint, i've seen people take lists too seriously, I just wanted to make it clear that not all lists are the same and shouldnt automatically be considered 'bad')

LOL omg 'general dislike'..there is a lot of different ways to have fun in the 'outdoors' community. There will always be people that will think your way of having fun sucks if you do not hike the PCT, climb 5.11b, go on expeditions, aid climb, or whatever else they do. You will never please all...so DON'T try to. Will be a happy guy if only person you are trying to impress and please is yourself.

The following user would like to thank Vitaliy M. for this post
Buz Groshong

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:21 am

With peakbagger.com, we have a new phenomenon; everything is getting on a list.

In the age of the internet, it's hard to keep any secrets. Tweet.

no avatar
willytinawin

by willytinawin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:27 pm

MoapaPk wrote:In the age of the internet, it's hard to keep any secrets. Tweet.

aint that the truth, you find something special and try to keep it to yourself, then the next person "discovers" it and sings like a bird. :)

Next

Return to General