Looking for climbing specific training?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
habithero

Looking for climbing specific training?

by habithero » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Hey guys,

I'm working on a gamified fitness + nutrition program for climbers and looking for beta testers!

Here's the deal:

*No cost to you or any friends you want to play against
*No gym needed
*No fancy equipment (but a pull-up bar would be ideal).
*Challenge your friends and foes, earn points and get fit!

All I need is your email to send you workouts. If you're interested, let me know and I can send more information.

Here's some details on the program I just sent via email to a friend in the states asking him to help recruit folks...

So I'm still working as a personal trainer and nutritionist but have also been working on the gamification idea with a couple of my American clients (cause I can't write all the shit in Spanish yet, too much of a headache). Anyway, these two clients just completed a month of the fitness game and have re-signed for another month.

The cool thing is they're both mountain climbers, so I have developed routines for them that really focus on core strength, functional strength, dynamic strength, power moves, and muscle endurance (putting muscles under stress for long periods of time, just like climbing). Even shows them cool ways to strengthen wrists, fingers, forearms, tendons in the hands, etc.

They've already seen great improvements, are getting up their routes faster and fatiguing much more slowly. It's also helped them lose a combined 20lbs of weight in just one month.

They don't need a gym. Just a pull-up bar (climbing-style or not) or sturdy door, table and chair. Workouts can also be done outside in a park with a jungle gym. The routines take between 8-30 minutes, so there's no excuse not to get 'em done.

Anyway, the first month was pretty basic. I just sent them a month of workouts, they reported back if they completed, and how long it took via email. They competed strictly on completing the workout and time it took. I also met with them weekly to gather feedback and tweak the routines. Learned a ton and have been improving on the product. They got very competitive seeing the daily emails and times, which kept them motivated!

I'm now working on further gamification of the system (more ways to earn points, workouts sent as challenges you have a certain amount of time to complete, and more detailed nutrition stuff.) I use other people's videos from youtube to explain movements, etc. It's pretty ghetto. But I suppose it's an MVP because they love it and pay for it. (I've also started talking to game developers and 500 Startups Mexico City about funding, but that's a whole nother story!)

So, I was wondering if you and some climbing friends would be interested in helping to test this next month? I need more feedback and since it's climbing specific, I thought this would be right up you and your friends alley.

Of course, the entire month would be free (you can pay after that if you like it), and I'd make myself available on google hangout to answer questions, etc.

Anyway, would you or some folks you know be interested? It'd be awesome if you guys could start this Monday but not essential. All I would need are emails addresses to get you guys started.

Let me know!

Xav

Return to Technique and Training