Looking for Yeon Mountain????

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
ScottHanson

Looking for Yeon Mountain????

by ScottHanson » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:07 am

OK, I have approached Yeon Mountain area from two directions now. From the Yeon State Scenic Corridor trailhead to the east and today from Rock of Ages from the west. So my question to you Columbia Gorge experts is: Is Yeon Mountain merely a ridge along trail #425 or is there a prominent pile of rocks north of trail #425 to scramble up? Russ Schneider's book "Hiking the Columbia River Gorge" picture map seems to indicate the later. Thanks for any response! Maybe I need to breakdown and buy a gps unit! Or contact Mr. Schneider at Falcon Guide company!

Brian Jenkins

Re: Looking for Yeon Mountain????

by Brian Jenkins » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:49 am

I tried to find it before too going up Rock of Ages and then over "Yeon" to descend Nesmith Point and all I ever found was a sort of high point in trees. I never found anything like a definitive pile of rocks. Looked around a while and then decided there was nothing else higher in the area. Very anticlimactic. If anyone knows of a specific spot, would be nice to hear about it.

Klenke

by Klenke » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 am

Everyone knows where Yeon is. It's over yeonder.

Oh my god, that was so funny. LOL x 10. Snort snort.

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:23 am

Chuckle.

But don't quit your day job. :-)

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Klenke, your a funny guy. Your parents must be proud of you!
Brian, thanks for your response. I think we had a similar experience not finding a specific "summit point" for Yeon Mountain. I filled out a "comment" at falconguide website regarding this issue. I did not see an email address to send author Russ Schneider. So, I guess I will just wait and see if I get any response from these folks.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)