Lost Coast Trip Reports

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Pantilat

Lost Coast Trip Reports

by Pantilat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:12 pm

I toured the entire Lost Coast over two days last weekend from the Mattole River at the north end in the King Range to Usal Beach at the south end in the Sinkyone Wilderness. The King Range beach walk is 24.6 miles and the Sinkyone run from Hidden Valley to Usal was ~28 miles. Check out the links below for photos and videos. Let me know if you have any questions about our route/conditions.

Day 1 - King Range Beach Walk

Day 2 - Sinkyone Wilderness Adventure Run

Muddeer

by Muddeer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Nice! Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about doing the hike this summer, and after seeing your pics, I'm definitely doing it :D Any tick/skeeter problems in the Sinkyone Wilderness section?

Pantilat

by Pantilat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Muddeer wrote:Nice! Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about doing the hike this summer, and after seeing your pics, I'm definitely doing it :D Any tick/skeeter problems in the Sinkyone Wilderness section?

Thanks. We were mainly running so no mosquito issues, but in general it didn't seem buggy. The trail in the Sinkyone between Bear Harbor and Usal is often brushy with sections of stinging nettles, poison oak, tall grass, and other annoying vegetation overhanging the trail. I didn't see any ticks, but it would be a good idea to check for them.

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:29 am

The Lost Coast has been on my "tick list" for awhile. Thanks for the great pics.

WOW!

Gusto

fedak

by fedak » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:05 am

I've picked up ticks in Sinkyone

jareds

by jareds » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:11 am

did a hike down to the coast and back from the upper ridge road in May, picked off approx 30 ticks from my person. did the same trail in feb and didn't see any.

Return to California