Lundy Canyon Ice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
JHH60

Lundy Canyon Ice

by JHH60 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:04 am

How early does Lundy canyon ice typically come into shape? Is it worth checking out mid-November?

WML

by WML » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 am

bump

any word on lee vining canyon ice?

bearbnz

by bearbnz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Driving down from Saddlebag on Sunday (11/1) I stopped and looked over the edge, and there is very little ice on the walls. It's been cold enough, but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of available water flowing through there.

WML

by WML » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:23 pm

bearbnz wrote:Driving down from Saddlebag on Sunday (11/1) I stopped and looked over the edge, and there is very little ice on the walls. It's been cold enough, but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of available water flowing through there.

Does it look climbable or too thin for that? Also, what were you up to ~Saddlebag? What's the word on road conditions? Get a chance to look at any of the couloirs on North Peak?

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Last post on this thread implies that there might be ice in one of the NP couloirs. We didn't bother to look when we were up there a couple weekends ago after seeing Dana Couloir snowed over. I would imagine the approach / descent could be posthole-icious :)

Saddlebag Lake Road doesn't get closed in the fall until 120 closes, but they also don't plow it .. you will probably want 4wd if you go up there .. a lot of the road seemed to melt out quickly, but near the dam there were deep drifts in the shade.

I wouldn't bother going to LVC until mid-December at the earliest. Hopefully by then there will be enough snow to make the approach talus at least tolerable.

Miguel Forjan's pics from Lundy last December -

http://picasaweb.google.com/smithdljr/LundyFalls#

bearbnz

by bearbnz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:30 pm

WML wrote:
bearbnz wrote:Driving down from Saddlebag on Sunday (11/1) I stopped and looked over the edge, and there is very little ice on the walls. It's been cold enough, but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of available water flowing through there.

Does it look climbable or too thin for that? Also, what were you up to ~Saddlebag? What's the word on road conditions? Get a chance to look at any of the couloirs on North Peak?

Not climbable, still doesn't extend to the ground, what's there is thin. Saddlebag road is good all the way to the lake, no 4wd required, the road is clear and almost all dry. I did not walk up to the couloirs, but I may this coming weekend.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm

LVC will not be in and safe till at least the middle to the end of next month. That is the prevailing historical scenario.

I promise that I will post updates when the Walls are good to go.

Safety is paramount. It is the key to continued Access with the Edison & DWP folks. Trust me.....

Be patient, please.

WML

by WML » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 pm

The Chief wrote:LVC will not be in and safe till at least the middle to the end of next month. That is the prevailing historical scenario.

I promise that I will post updates when the Walls are good to go.

Safety is paramount. It is the key to continued Access with the Edison & DWP folks. Trust me.....

Be patient, please.

Awesome thanks man, any word on what the snow is like on the approach to North Peak's couloirs is like? Any word as to how good of shape they're in?

Appreciate the help, Chief.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:56 am

Decided to head up to Tuolumne one more time this past weekend. Saw some ice flows across from Pothole Dome -

Dana Couloir still looked snowy from Saddlebag Lake Road.

The road was pretty much clear up to the lot above the marina. I decided to go for a stroll.

The snow was hard, even in late morning. There were some older ski tracks, and newer crampon tracks. I hadn't brought an axe or crampons, just a trekking pole.

Mt. Conness

North Peak

Looked as though you could crampon all the way up to the glacier, and as I got closer it looked like people had been doing just that. I took the usual class 2-3 ledges though. I got to about 11000-ish feet, took some pics of the couloirs and turned around.

Right and middle couloirs

Left couloir

Chilly day, but beautiful with all the snow. Full set here.

Sounds like the next storm is set to move in over Veteran's Day ..

WML

by WML » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:13 am

Hm, looks like a definite trip down to that zone is necessary Wednesday!!!

Return to California