Manly Peak (Panamints) from Wingate Road

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoapaPk

Manly Peak (Panamints) from Wingate Road

by MoapaPk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:15 am

I'm thinking of approaching Manly from the Wingate Road S of Balarat, essentially the SW ridge, just N of the true Coyote Canyon. There would be 6000' of elevation gain, but I wouldn't need to punish a vehicle with the bad roads.

The google-earth image looks reasonable -- no cliff bands, fairly consistent ridge, no excess scrub.

Do you know anyone who has tried this?

As I sit here with a sprained ankle, I'm thinking about the next solo scheme.

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:22 am

Last weekend there was some kind of vehicle accident on Wingate Road. I think it took six hours to get the victims to the hospital in Ridgecrest. I don't know the details, but as I watched the rescue unfold on the CHP website, I was thinking that must be one tough road.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks for the info!

Ankle:
1000Pks wrote:How did you sprain your ankle?

I was on the easy part of a "hike", when I got relaxed and was talking to friends, and straining to hear. I normally control my right foot with constant upper-brain attention, to make up for the fact that I have cerebellar paralysis on that side (and no functioning proprioception). Alas, nothing makes me forget my problem like trying to listen to people. The foot turned over as I was crossing a pothole.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:58 pm

This site: http://members.aceweb.com/oldtrailmaster/backroads.htm

rates the Wingate road as pretty easy.

This picture:
http://hwstock.org/manly-f-w.jpg
shows the hypothetical route on the SW side of Manly.

There is actually a spur road off the Wingate that cuts diagonally up to the base of the mountain.

no avatar
marmoting

by marmoting » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:28 pm

The ridge you mentioned is straight forward and mostly enjoyable. A nice loop route is to ascend the ridge and come back down Coyote Canyon. You can park your car near the entrance to Coyote Canyon to save hiking to and from Wingate Road. I don't recall any difficulties with that mining road or Wingate Road. Rick Kent has an exhaustive set of photos of the loop route http://www.rickkent.net/ViewerPlus/viewer.aspx?FolderID=552.

If you are into long ridge routes, you might look at the west ridge of Telescope from Indian Ranch or the north ridge of Tucki from Mosaic Canyon. Those are both enjoyable, scenic and challenging.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:49 pm

marmoting wrote:The ridge you mentioned is straight forward and mostly enjoyable. A nice loop route is to ascend the ridge and come back down Coyote Canyon. You can park your car near the entrance to Coyote Canyon to save hiking to and from Wingate Road. I don't recall any difficulties with that mining road or Wingate Road. Rick Kent has an exhaustive set of photos of the loop route http://www.rickkent.net/ViewerPlus/viewer.aspx?FolderID=552.

If you are into long ridge routes, you might look at the west ridge of Telescope from Indian Ranch or the north ridge of Tucki from Mosaic Canyon. Those are both enjoyable, scenic and challenging.

Thanks very much, all!

I'm into long ridge routes when they might save $2000 in car repair bills!

I just did a loop up from Johnson Canyon at 2300', over Porter and Sentinel. I had previously done the Shorty's-Well-to-Telescope bit, and the Johnson Canyon loop was a lot nicer and wilder (except the descent on "DPS B" really sucked...).

Of course, Manly is a pipe dream until my ankle heals...

Return to California