Martha Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
JonW

Martha Conditions

by JonW » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:28 am

Thinking of attempting Martha this weekend. Anyone been up there lately? Any advice based on the snow conditions this year when it'll be in best shape?

Thanks.

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 pm

Did you go up? thinking about it this weekend.

JonW

by JonW » Thu May 06, 2010 6:22 pm

We didn't wind up going because of the weather last weekend, but we're heading up on Saturday. Maybe we'll see you there.

BTW, any idea if we should bring snowshoes? Thanks!

edit: addition

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Fri May 07, 2010 3:25 pm

might be going up saturday as well. Eli Helmuth reported that the park got "pounded" with snow. Not sure what that means for the trail to Chasm Lake. Normally it's pretty well packed.

Also not sure what that means for avy conditions.... CAIC will update their forecast later today (friday afternoon).

Pivvay

by Pivvay » Fri May 07, 2010 4:17 pm

I'd bring floation. I heard from a friend out there yesterday that it is probably needed until we get a good freeze/thaw cycle back. My guess is that the northern mountains aren't going to be ideal this weekend, I'm thinking at least as far south as torreys or the sawatch will have better snow conditions but we'll see.

JonW

by JonW » Sun May 09, 2010 3:08 pm

We climbed Martha yesterday and there is still a lot of unconsolidated snow up there. Luckily there was another party in front of us to dig out a trench about thigh deep. :) But there was enough spindrift coming down to fill in the tracks at the start. The ice wasn't bad and felt quite secure even though it was a little thin to place screws. Mostly used rock gear and only a couple of stubbies. We did it in about 2.5 pitches and simul-climbed the rest. We used snowshoes up to Chasm junction but probably could have got by without. We didn't put them back on for the descent.

Return to Colorado