Matterhorn, Wallowa Mountains ?????'s

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
tpendley4968

Matterhorn, Wallowa Mountains ?????'s

by tpendley4968 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:43 am

Has anyone hiked up either Sacajawea or Matterhorn this year. I am going to go hiking up with some friends, up to the summit of Matterhorn. I am tempted to hike up to Ice Lake and camp there for the night, however I heard that the mosquitoes are fierce! Has anyone hiked up there this year? And if so, how were the skeeters? A few ain't bad, however last year I hiked up Diamond Peak and the mosquitoes were brutal!.....is there an alternate camping area that is not as bad? Thanks for your reply!

dskoon

Re: Matterhorn, Wallowa Mountains ?????'s

by dskoon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:26 pm

tpendley4968 wrote:Has anyone hiked up either Sacajawea or Matterhorn this year. I am going to go hiking up with some friends, up to the summit of Matterhorn. I am tempted to hike up to Ice Lake and camp there for the night, however I heard that the mosquitoes are fierce! Has anyone hiked up there this year? And if so, how were the skeeters? A few ain't bad, however last year I hiked up Diamond Peak and the mosquitoes were brutal!.....is there an alternate camping area that is not as bad? Thanks for your reply!

I was just up there a little over a week ago, and camped at Ice lake.
I found the mosquitoes to be not bad. A bit of repellent on in the mornings and evenings when they were buzzing, but I found them annoying but just tolerable. Depends a bit on one's level of tolerance, I suppose, but I hardly found them "fierce.". . nor did my son, who hates skeeters. And, I'm sure now that a week + has passed, they've declined a bit.

As far as the Matterhorn goes, we didn't hike it, but went for a ridge separating the two basins(Ice and the Lakes basin), instead. Got good views of everything, including the Matterhorn, etc. Many were going for the Matterhorn, and I heard its fairly straightforward, though one person said he had a bit of trouble with route finding.

Anyway, that's it. I think camping at Ice lake is a fine idea. Be prepared if you're going toward the weekend, (we went during the early part of the week), as it appears to be a popular destination.
Have fun!

The following user would like to thank dskoon for this post
tpendley4968

billisfree

by billisfree » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:49 am

I was up in early August. Snow melt was quite late. Steve Komisky (sp) tried to summit Matterhorn... but encountered an "ice cliff" near summit. It's been 4 weeks since, who know what it's like now?

The following user would like to thank billisfree for this post
tpendley4968

tpendley4968

by tpendley4968 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 am

Thank you gents!

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:59 am

billisfree wrote:I was up in early August. Snow melt was quite late. Steve Komisky (sp) tried to summit Matterhorn... but encountered an "ice cliff" near summit. It's been 4 weeks since, who know what it's like now?

I was just up there, though as I said, I didn't climb the Matterhorn, but many others did, and as I mentioned, it sounded like it was fairly straightforward, with no problems heard of . .

Holk

by Holk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:57 am

I would like to post my report on here as well, but don't currently have the time to upload that many images. At any rate I did manage to get it online over at Cascade Climbers' website: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1032488/TR_Wallowa_Eagle_Cap_Wildernes#Post1032488

The following user would like to thank Holk for this post
Brian Jenkins, calebEOC

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Great TR and amazing photos.

calebEOC

by calebEOC » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Agreed that was pretty cool

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)