Mentoring newbies

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
rhyang

Mentoring newbies

by rhyang » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:19 pm

This is the first season I've been back to climbing regularly since my accident, and I've been climbing with several newbies. They are smart, enthusiastic, and willing to seek out new experiences.

I don't think of myself as a "trad mentor" yet though. Mostly I just show them what I know and try to explain why I do things the way I was taught. Sometimes if there is an alternative I'll try to explain why some other folks prefer that, and let them make up their own minds. Sometimes I recommend books they can read or classes they can take from guides.

Really I kinda suck at teaching people things. But it feels good to see someone else getting better at this and having fun, no matter what the grade.

How do you mentor new climbers, and what has your experience been ?

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Generally I invite them to Joshua Tree for a Thanksgiving weekend. Once there I encourage them to drink way too much around the campfire. When they can't get up the next morning I go an climb whatever I wanted to climb before coming back to camp to make fun of them.

albanberg

by albanberg » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm new and looking to get some climbing in...just in case anyone is interested in having me tag along. I've only done one rock class though...which went well I think.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 am

I'm a n00b and mentor other n00bz to be better n00bz

norco17

by norco17 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 am

xDoogiex wrote:I'm a n00b and mentor other n00bz to be better n00bz

+1

Life is good

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Looking for someone to teach me rock and/or ice. Any Chicago-area SPers wanna drag my sorry n00b butt up some climbs?

gegarrenton

by gegarrenton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:30 pm

xDoogiex wrote:I'm a n00b and mentor other n00bz to be better n00bz
+1 Yup.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:09 pm

ShortTimer wrote:Generally I invite them to Joshua Tree for a Thanksgiving weekend. Once there I encourage them to drink way too much around the campfire. When they can't get up the next morning I go an climb whatever I wanted to climb before coming back to camp to make fun of them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:35 pm

rhyang wrote:
ShortTimer wrote:Generally I invite them to Joshua Tree for a Thanksgiving weekend. Once there I encourage them to drink way too much around the campfire. When they can't get up the next morning I go an climb whatever I wanted to climb before coming back to camp to make fun of them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This obviously works best with people from Northern California that don't really know me very well. I have tried the same technique in Tuolumne but I think the air there does something to people because they always get up in the morning to climb, no matter how much I coaxed them into drinking the night before. I find Tequila is the easiest way to accomplish my goals.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:45 pm

After decades of training my parters I got sick of it and did two things:
1. Got a Soloist self-belay device and
2. Joined a climbing club where I had lots of access to potential partners. For this you might consider getting into the Sierra Nevada Section of the American Alpine Club. They have a pretty active schedule.

I won't train people any more unless they have passion for the sport.

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Man, if you listen to Shortimer you would think he is the first one out of camp every morning or something...

On topic, there are two kinds of nubies. The ones that get it, and are as much fun as anyone, and the ones who don't... I choose my nubies with care.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:48 am

I still climb like a n00b, but I learned pretty quickly not to drink like one :oops:

woodsxc wrote:Looking for someone to teach me rock and/or ice. Any Chicago-area SPers wanna drag my sorry n00b butt up some climbs?

I'm not qualified to teach and I can't drag you up anything, but if you have a pair of rock shoes and some money for gas, I'm usually game for new cragging partners, especially if you can occasionally be free on Fridays. Shoot me a PM.

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:37 am

ksolem wrote:Man, if you listen to Shortimer you would think he is the first one out of camp every morning or something...

On topic, there are two kinds of nubies. The ones that get it, and are as much fun as anyone, and the ones who don't... I choose my nubies with care.

What?! Get up early to do the same route for the 45th time... Sleep is highly under-rated...

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:32 pm

ShortTimer wrote:
ksolem wrote:Man, if you listen to Shortimer you would think he is the first one out of camp every morning or something...

What?! Get up early to do the same route for the 45th time... Sleep is highly under-rated...

:lol: Thanksgiving '06 in JTree .. good times :)

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:04 pm

I don't really train people either -- they have to know how to buckle their harness, belay, etc. This kind of knowledge isn't exactly hard to come by these days though :)

When I get to the top of a pitch and put my partner on belay, sometimes the rope goes tight. OK, time to have a snack while they figure it out (autolocking belay device) .. I might yell down some of my useless climbing tips if needed -

"Try smearing with your right foot !"

"Try jamming there !"

"I put my left side in !"

And occasionally "What ? No, I'm not going to lower you ! Just hang there and shake out the pump !"

If all else fails - "I can't hear yooou ! Too windy !"

:mrgreen:

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander