Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Missing AT hiker in Maine

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

Missing AT hiker in Maine

Postby marcminish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:49 pm

The Maine Warden Service is still searching for Geraldine “Gerry” Largay. Her trail name is “Inchworm”. Inchworm is a northbound hiker on the Appalachian Trail. She was last seen on Monday, July 22, 2013 at about 3:30 p.m. Inchworm was ascending Lone Mountain at that time. Her likely destination was the Spaulding mountain lean-to, where she was planning to spend Monday night.

The Maine Warden Service is seeking to talk with any person that spent Monday night, July 22, 2013 at the Spaulding Mountain lean to. If you have any knowledge of any hiker or are a hiker that spend Monday night (7-22-13) at Spaulding mountain Lean-to please call 207-624-7076.
marcminish

Re: Missing AT hiker in Maine

Postby marcminish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:50 pm

My wife worked with her husband. I was asked to post this on any message boards I may know. Please do not contact me, the poster, with any information. Contact the Maine authorities directly instead. Thanks.
Last edited by marcminish on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcminish

Postby marcminish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Additional info and photo of the missing woman here:

http://www.kjonline.com/news/Over-rugge ... hiker.html
marcminish

Postby Catamount » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Here's a link to a thread over on VFTT ...

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?49950-LOST-HIKER-IN-Spaulding-mountain-area-maine

I've done a good bit of hiking in this area of Maine in the past and it really is pretty spectacular. As pointed out in the article, there are some glacial cirques with significant drop-offs but you would still have to try pretty hard to "fall off" the trail.
Catamount

Postby Catamount » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Catamount

Postby anita » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Hoping for the best..
Have you tried viewsfromthetop.com ?
anita

Postby Catamount » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 pm

The thread on whiteblaze.net is actually far more useful and informative than the one I linked earlier on VFTT.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97087-Wardens-seek-hikers-aid-in-finding-woman-lost-from-Appalachian-Trail-Kennebec-Jour
Catamount

Postby Catamount » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:27 am

^^^^

Speculation is speculative but I would have to echo the sentiments of some of the posters on whiteblaze that the single greatest danger in this area is getting lost and injured off trail. I remember doing one intentional bushwhack on Redington years back (near the Crockers and Sugarloaf but not along the AT) and was shocked at one point when I realized I was about 20 feet off the ground on a criss-cross section of blowdown. Real potential for injury in this terrain and you are really out in the middle of nowhere. Falling and various wildlife scenarios are pretty unlikely. Foul play ... hard to rule out but the authorities say there is no evidence of same so I'll take their word for it.

Hope she makes it out alive but a week is a long time to be missing ....
Catamount

Postby Bark Eater » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Weird story. Have you ever read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King? Yes, fiction of course but some similarities. Odd that she was supposedly very experienced but obviously is well off the trail some place. Hope she is found.
Bark Eater

Postby Catamount » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/07/31/news/state/still-no-sign-of-missing-tennessee-hiker-geraldine-largay-say-maine-wardens/?ref=latest

AUGUSTA, Maine — The Maine Warden Service issued a call Wednesday evening for volunteer searchers affiliated with the Maine Association for Search and Rescue in its ongoing effort to locate a Tennessee hiker who hasn’t been seen since July 21.

“At this time, the Maine Warden Service seeks searchers who are only affiliated with MASAR as we move forward. Those people are to contact the MASAR duty officer,” Cpl. John MacDonald of the Maine Warden Service said in a media update shortly after 6 p.m.

“We also continue to seek information from anyone who stayed at the Spaulding Mountain lean-to on the night of Monday, July 22,” MacDonald said. “We have been utilizing national cellphone analyst experts and have taken all leads to this point as far as we can go.”
Catamount

Postby Catamount » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:12 am

Florida Frank wrote:Weird story.

Weird indeed. The key to the whole thing may prove to be the southbounder who contacted the Stratton Motel on the 24th to report Inchworm was overdue meeting her husband. How could she have possibly known this?

From above-linked story ...

MacDonald said earlier that wardens are looking for an unidentified female who called the Stratton Motel about 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 24, reporting that “Inchworm” — Largay’s trail name — was overdue in meeting with her husband, George.

From an earlier story ...

In an update issued shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday, MacDonald said that state game wardens are seeking “critical information” about a woman hiker who called an employee of the Stratton Motel in Stratton on Wednesday night reporting that she had spent Tuesday night with Largay at a lean-to on the trail. The name of the hiker, who said she was traveling south, remains unknown.

“The Maine Warden Service desperately needs to identify this hiker and wishes to speak to her about this incident,” MacDonald said. “Anyone with information who can help identify the hiker is asked to call the Public Safety Dispatch Center in Augusta at 800-452-4664.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/07/25/news/state/wardens-seek-publics-help-in-search-for-missing-woman/?ref=inline
Catamount

Postby nartreb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:54 pm

There's been a lot of Internet speculation about this SOBO hiker angle, but I haven't seen any reliable information about the content of the call to the motel. The idea that she "report[ed] that Inchworm was overdue" does not seem to be supported. But given that Inchworm had been overdue since the 22nd, it's hardly inconceivable that the SOBO heard a rumor of this by the 24th and would seek to contact the husband.
nartreb

Postby Catamount » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Well, assuming the Bangor Daily News construed his comments correctly, the bit about the SOBO hiker "reporting" her overdue came from John MacDonald of the Maine Warden Service. Like you, I'd like to know exactly what was said during the call.

Anyway, there seems to be a strong suggestion that the two hikers met at the Spaulding Mountain lean-to either Monday or Tuesday night. That lean-to is 18.7 miles from Route 4 in Rangeley and 13.5 miles from Route 27 in Stratton. Reading between the lines as authorities state they have exhausted all cell phone leads suggests strongly that the SOBO hiker had no cell phone and made the call from a hard line that would have HAD to have been in Rangeley. (If SOBO made the call from a cell phone, it would have long since been pinged.) So if SOBO was able to make it 18.7 miles in the one or two days since they met, I ask how would she know that Inchworm hadn't made it the 13.5 miles to Stratton? This is what has everyone who has tried to do the math scratching their collective heads.
Catamount

Postby nartreb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:12 pm

The SOBO knew Inchworm was late because Inchworm was already late when she met the SOBO. As to knowing she was *still* missing, we don't know whether she knew that. We have a phone conversation between the SOBO and some motel staff, as reported to a warden, as relayed to a reporter. I'd be very cautious about taking that report too literally.

But assume the SOBO got to Stratton on the 24th. Inchworm had been missing for two days. Is it so hard to believe that a rumor of this wouldn't have reached Stratton by then?

The thing we can conclude about the phone records is, either the police don't have results yet, or they're choosing not to share the results. There would be two separate queries: 1) tower-based location data for the time and place where Inchworm went missing (if her phone was on, you could get a rough fix of her position; any other phones in the area would be nice to know about too); 2) business records of what phone number called the motel at a precise time. For the latter, a pay phone might make a cold trail, but so could a prepaid cell phone if it was then turned off or the SOBO moved out of range.
nartreb

Postby Catamount » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:18 pm

nartreb wrote:
But assume the SOBO got to Stratton on the 24th. Inchworm had been missing for two days. Is it so hard to believe that a rumor of this wouldn't have reached Stratton by then?

Rangeley.

But OK, I'm not ready to convict SOBO of anything. I'm just saying things as reported aren't adding up. Not even close. The media getting the facts wrong is certainly a real possibility. But assuming the reported facts are even 75-percent accurate, SOBO needs to be located and she needs to be questioned. Maine authorities seem to agree with this assessment. In the meantime, scour the woods and hope you find Inchworm alive.

As for the police and cell phone records, you have a direct quote that they have worked with national cell phone experts and dead-ended. They wouldn't lie about that. In my prior life as a cop, I pinged a few phones. In exigent circumstances with a regular carrier, it's just a matter of making some phone calls and filling out some paperwork and you can zero right in on the phone. Quickly.
Catamount

Next

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)