Mont Blanc - Italian normal route

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
barts

Mont Blanc - Italian normal route

by barts » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:24 pm

What's with Italian normal route to Mont Blanc? I heared that it's very difficult (crevasses). Anyone has gone this route to MB this year?

no avatar
signorellil

Re: Mont Blanc - Italian normal route

by signorellil » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:58 pm

barts wrote:What's with Italian normal route to Mont Blanc? I heared that it's very difficult (crevasses). Anyone has gone this route to MB this year?

The route was/is good conditions - unfortunately they have decided to close the Gonella hut from next Monday (the 6th) because they're going to start the strenghtening work on the hut platform, before the hut will be completely rebuilt. This includes also the winter quarters. Also, the Courmayeur administration has issued a prohibition to walk the access trail below the hut (because of the risk of stones being inadvertitedly moved by the works).

no avatar
barts

by barts » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:41 am

Thanks, but what with bergschrund? It's impossible to cross, supposedly...

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:52 am

I did the route on July 22 and there was no problem following a good track back and forth up the glacier, although descending back to the glacier in the mid day heat was a little dicey with lots of rockfall nearby. The hike up to the hut was harder than any of the climbing.

no avatar
barts

by barts » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:15 pm

Thanks for answer.

Return to Europe