Mount McLoughlin

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
desmo13

Mount McLoughlin

by desmo13 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Heading up to that area at the end of this week. Can anyone give me condition update and suggestions. I am looking for a little hike, hopefully with some crampon/axe use.

Snidely Whiplash

by Snidely Whiplash » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:18 am

I can't give you up-to-date conditions, but I can warn you that you will encounter the worst mosquitos you have ever experienced. Ever. The only time I ever DEETed up in the car. I've heard much the same from other folks who go there. Literally clouds of mosquitos.

Other than this, I would think it's in good condition. I did it at the end of June, and it was an ideal time to go as far as snowpack was concerned.

HungarySagehen

by HungarySagehen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:06 am

Was thinking about heading down there about a week ago and heard the snowpack was still going strong. We've had some 90+ days recently though so it's no doubt receding.

Re Mosquitos: Was up in Diamond Peak and Three Sisters Wildernesses this last week and they really haven't started showing up too badly here, although it's always a little more hectic down south.

Good luck!

desmo13

by desmo13 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:44 am

Those skeeters are rough. I camp at Lake of the woods each summer.

*deleted question*
did some research, I have to stop in ashland or medford to get a wilderness pass

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)