Mountains in or near RMNP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jyeary

Mountains in or near RMNP

by jyeary » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm headed out to Colorado in the summer of 2013 for a few weeks and am looking for some non technical climbs and a beginners technical climb. Can anybody recommend maybe 5 or so great non technical climbs and/or a novice technical climb? It doesn't have to be in the park but in that area would be nice. Thanks.

Tonka

Re: Mountains in or near RMNP

by Tonka » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Keyhole route on longs peak. A classic and a true big mountain experience for a biginner. It is a long day though.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:21 am

I took some people (some beginners but they were all in shape )up Mt Chiquita and Mt Ypsilon from Fall River Road in July - it was a great hike with lots of stupendous views and wildlife.

I also recommend a circuit of Flatop, Halleck and a hike south and a descent via Andrews Glacier (mostly safe but check with rangers first) through the Loch, Alberta Falls and back to starting point. Same deal with stunning views.

Both were big time fun.

These both are trails with some wide open cross country with easy navigation. Leave early in the morning for Falttop/Halleck to avoid crowds.

Trip Report http://www.summitpost.org/broken-bones-better-trip-rocky-mountain-national-park/569580 shows some of both these trips.

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 am

Tonka wrote:Keyhole route on longs peak. A classic and a true big mountain experience for a biginner. It is a long day though.

When in the summer are you going? Depending on the winter and the following spring Long's can have a fair bit of snow and ice once you are past the keyhole. Best time to do it (except for the crowds) is August. Route is usually snow/ice free at this time of year. Tonka hit the nail on the head - this really is a great experience for a beginner. One of my best memories is doing this one with my son when he was 17.

Further to what Stu said you could tie in Mummy Mountain and surrounding peaks from the same access (Lawn Lake trailhead) on Fall River Road.

If you want something easy to start you could try Twin Sisters (2-4 hour hike to +/- 11400 feet). If the weather is clear there are some stunning views of Long's and surrounding area.
Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 am

Stu's recommedations are good. And of course Longs!!! Some other thougths:

IMO any trip to RMNP needs to include a day in Wild Basin. Approaches are long but the scenery (and solitude depending on your timing) is excellent. Depending on which approach you take there are a number of peaks you could hit: Chiefs Head, Mount Alice, Isolation Peak, Ouzel Peak, etc.

Good hikes to accilimate (or more accurately, figure out how you are going to respond to the altitude) include the Loch and Sky Pond, or a hike high into Glacier Gorge past Black Lake. These hikes offer stellar scenery and there are a few peaks you can hit from Glacier Gorge. They tend to be busy, so start early!

I haven't hit Indian Peaks Wilderness or the Never Summer Range yet but I understand both of these areas again offer some stellar scenery, as well as some good peaks to go after.

I would recommend picking up the Falcon Guide to Hiking RMNP along the with Trails Illustrated Maps for RMNP and Indian Peaks. Between those sources and all the info on SP you will have more than enough research info...and will soon find yourself frustrated, knowing that everything you want to do can't fit into a short two week trip.

Return to Colorado