Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
 

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:29 am

Thanks for the pics and update! Looks like the bowl should be in shape :)
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Hyadventure » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:03 am

I was up there New Years day. The bowl has thin snow. Not really good climbing. I avoided it.
User Avatar
Hyadventure

 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:02 pm
Location: Orange County, California, Vatican City (Holy See)
Thanked: 7 times in 7 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm

That's disappointing. With sun all week, I'm guessing it will be pretty poor by the weekend. Sounds like we need a good dump first; it has been cold down here but it didn't really snow that much, so not a huge surprise I guess...

Hyadventure wrote:I was up there New Years day. The bowl has thin snow. Not really good climbing. I avoided it.
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby artrock23 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Luciano136 wrote:Thanks for the pics and update! Looks like the bowl should be in shape :)


It was really fun Saturday; The Bowl was fine.

I'm guessing that as of now, more snowfall is definitely needed.
User Avatar
artrock23

 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Laguna Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 174 times in 97 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Luciano136 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Anyone know if the trail to the hut is clear of snow/ice? Wouldn't mind a run up to the hut but only if clear; slipping with a 7m old on your back would suck LOL
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Carbo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:18 pm

What were the conditions? Did it get more snow yesterday?
User Avatar
Carbo

 
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:43 pm
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Thanked: 6 times in 6 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Luciano136 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm

I think the system on Thursday dropped a decent amount of snow. Looked a lot whiter over the weekend than before. It has also been cold so probably not much has melted.
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby RLA » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:39 am

How are the bowl conditions as of January 19th? I'm thinking about heading up Sunday or Monday... bob
User Avatar
RLA

 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:04 am
Location: Temecula, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby artrock23 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 am

RLA wrote:How are the bowl conditions as of January 19th? I'm thinking about heading up Sunday or Monday... bob


I live in OC and get to see Mt. Baldy from a distance M-F when I drive to work. It appears that quite a considerable amount of snow has melted as of yesterday (1/18). My guess is that there isn't half the amount of snow as was in my pics from a few weeks ago.
User Avatar
artrock23

 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Laguna Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 174 times in 97 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Luciano136 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:09 pm

I ran up to the hut on Saturday. There are indeed some snow tongues left but a lot of rocks are already showing. Some people still climbed the bowl but it looked crappy to me; I think it's out till the next snowfall.
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby simonov » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Dude died from a fall in the Baldy Bowl on Sunday.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 70381.html

Must have been a lot of people up there to have either witnessed the fall or seen the body.
Nunc est bibendum.
User Avatar
simonov

 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: Costa Mesa, California, United States
Thanked: 466 times in 269 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Luciano136 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 pm

simonov wrote:Dude died from a fall in the Baldy Bowl on Sunday.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 70381.html

Must have been a lot of people up there to have either witnessed the fall or seen the body.


Damn, sorry to hear that :(. Baldy is a popular but dangerous place.
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby DukeJH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 am

Luciano136 wrote:I ran up to the hut on Saturday. There are indeed some snow tongues left but a lot of rocks are already showing. Some people still climbed the bowl but it looked crappy to me; I think it's out till the next snowfall.


We were in Icehouse Canyon and saw the chopper. The bowl did not look to be in shape. Icehouse Canyon was very icy.
User Avatar
DukeJH

 
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:12 am
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 25 times in 19 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:35 am

DukeJH wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:I ran up to the hut on Saturday. There are indeed some snow tongues left but a lot of rocks are already showing. Some people still climbed the bowl but it looked crappy to me; I think it's out till the next snowfall.


We were in Icehouse Canyon and saw the chopper. The bowl did not look to be in shape. Icehouse Canyon was very icy.


I agree. Coverage looked way too thin and too much dirt was showing. The north facing side was ok but that only gets you to about 9k.
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Re: Mt. Baldy Conditions?

Postby JinLA » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:43 am

Any good snow coverage with the rain last weekend? Looking to make a trip up the bowl but just waiting for the snow.
JinLA

 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

PreviousNext

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.