Mt. Brewer Summit Register???

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
calicokat

Mt. Brewer Summit Register???

by calicokat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:05 am

Climbed Mt. Brewer yesterday via the East Ridge (pictures to follow). While on the summit I could not find the register. I have seen pictures of the big bright silver Sierra Club box, should be easy to see. I tagged all three of the summit pinnacles and searched all around each, especially the northeastern pinnacle where the register is supposed to be. Am I crazy or did it get stolen :(

phydeux

Re: Mt. Brewer Summit Register???

by phydeux » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:38 pm

It was there last fall when I was up on it in early October. It would be a tragedy if it was lost; lots of 'good reading' in it :wink: .

no avatar
huntersthompson

by huntersthompson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:49 pm

While I can't speak to Mt. Brewer, I can tell you that Middle Palisade doesn't have the Sierra Club Register any longer...and hasn't for a while....the register up there is a coffee can that protects the cylindrical register....
Attachments
DSC_0175 (2).JPG
DSC_0175 (2).JPG (130.71 KiB) Viewed 3390 times

no avatar
huntersthompson

by huntersthompson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:36 pm

I am getting so irritated by the d-bags out there on the mountains....seriously. When we summited Middle Pal in 2009 the register was there, as evidenced by the pic, but we also ran into an unpleasant find....someone decided to take a crap at the summit...."stay classy, San Diego"....It bums me out that what I presume is a really small group of morons can ruin (in small part) one of the most magical places in the world.....grrrrrrrr

no avatar
huntersthompson

by huntersthompson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Look at the bottom of this page and follow the link to "Middle Palisade Summit Register Can Lost"....interesting thread...it got back up there, but now lost again....

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 pm

As I said in the other tread; in September 2008 I found the official/original/custom Sierra Club Register box for Middle Palisade at Finger Lake after my ascent. It was returned to the Sierra Clubs official keeper of such things within 48 hours. He promised me it would be returned to the peak as soon as possible. My guess is the Sierra Club had a change of heart and has decided to hide the box so it will never be stolen and lost forever.

madeintahoe

by madeintahoe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:16 pm

I know SAR removed Mount Brewer's register back in 2006 due to a missing hiker search....but read where it was returned in 2008. They also removed Milestone's register during that same SAR.. that one is said to be in safe keeping according to the Ranger at the Tyndall station...there was a new one replaced and brought up to Milestone back in 2007. The last original one for Milestone I do not think has ever been returned.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:33 am

Definitely in place in 2008...

Big time bummer... :(

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:14 pm

calicokat wrote:Climbed Mt. Brewer yesterday via the East Ridge (pictures to follow). While on the summit I could not find the register. I have seen pictures of the big bright silver Sierra Club box, should be easy to see. I tagged all three of the summit pinnacles and searched all around each, especially the northeastern pinnacle where the register is supposed to be. Am I crazy or did it get stolen :(

When I did Brewer I looked all around for it too - I got on top of all the possible highpoints and did not see it next to any of them. Finally when I gave up and headed to a nice area along the ridge to take a break, I found the register. That was back on July 2, 2007 - I found the register at the north end of the ridge. It's not that far from what appeared to be the highpoint, but it's certainly not right next to it.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:15 pm

3Deserts wrote:Same on Middle Palisade. The bolt holes for the silver box are there, but there's no box.

I thought the Middle Palisade Register was put back up there last August.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:24 am

huntersthompson wrote:I am getting so irritated by the d-bags out there on the mountains....seriously. When we summited Middle Pal in 2009 the register was there, as evidenced by the pic, but we also ran into an unpleasant find....someone decided to take a crap at the summit...."stay classy, San Diego"....It bums me out that what I presume is a really small group of morons can ruin (in small part) one of the most magical places in the world.....grrrrrrrr

Welcome to the new breed of Sierra visitors. Notice I did not call them Mountaineers.

As far as all them nice Sierra Club Summit Register containers, I got ten bucks says that the SC has indeed wisen'd up and took them all back before them lads that shit on the Middle Pal summit stole them all. I say they are all in the safe hands of the Bancroft Library folks over there at UC Berkeley.

Selfish? Maybe. Can't say I blame em one bit. They, the SC, are just safe keeping their "Historical" property from all those "D-Bags" you mentioned in your post.

BTW, I recently heard that this one has gone missing as well. Just confirms the pretty solid rumors I heard about the SC taking em all back for safe keeping.

raydoubleu

by raydoubleu » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:01 am

The original 1925 Sierra Club summit register box was there July 2010 (original register book is not there - entries in the current notebook are only a few years old). It is nestled in a set of rocks east of the main summit pyramid; it does take some looking around to find, but I'm sure it is still there - almost gave up myself, but I looked for the most comfortable place to sit and enjoy the view to the east and looked down - it was directly at my feet.

Return to California