Mt Stanley, Uganda

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Africa. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Africa Climbing Partners section.
HeyItsBen

Mt Stanley, Uganda

by HeyItsBen » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:26 am

Just booked flights to Uganda, and looking to get up Mt. Stanley while I'm there. Wondering if anyone has any recent info on the tour operators, Rwenzori Mountaineering Services (RMS) and the central circuit vs. Rwenzori Trekking Services (RTS) on the Kilembe route? As a guide is required, I've gotta pick one. RMS has had some pretty bad reviews but none I'm seeing that are very recent, so maybe they've improved. RTS is quite a bit more expensive.

Someone mentions in one of the summit logs here on SP that the guides from RMS were fumbling around with gear on the technical portions of the climb, not sure that I care too much if I have to lead. Plus I'm reading that there may be a ladder there anyhow... but if the food sucks and the huts are terrible, I may be more inclined to go with RTS...

Also, looking for recommendations for other peaks (Mt. Baker, etc.) or other sights. We're considering Ishasha and Bwindi after the trek. Any info would be a big help. Thanks...

Tijs

Re: Mt Stanley, Uganda

by Tijs » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:36 pm

January 2013, we went with RTS, and were very impressed.

Their guides —some of them used to work for RMS, but left there disillusioned— have all the necessary skills. And they radiate positive energy, which is just as important, seeing how much rain the Rwenzori receives. We were safe and in high spirits for the entire nine-day trip, so yes, they did a good job.

Choosing RTS means taking the Kilembe Trail. According to Kiendler's guide book (page 206), that part of the Rwenzori Mountains National Park is even more breathtaking than the rest. I cannot compare, but I can say that it was spectacular!! The other reason why I specifically wanted to take that route was the possibility to "climb high, sleep low". At the end of day two, you have the option to climb the dazzling Mutinda Lookout (3'975m), before sleeping in the Mutinda Cave Camp (3’688m). And at the end of day three, we climbed Weismann (4'619m), before sleeping in the beautiful Bugata Camp (4’062m). Whatever you decide to do, do not just climb Mount Stanley. The Rwenzori has so much more to offer, it would be a shame to only do Stanley. Mount Baker (4'842m), for instance, is also on the Kilembe Trail. I should note, that you have to pay extra (forgot how much) to climb Weismann. Seeing that it takes some five hours up and down from the Bugata Camp, and that we got their two most experienced guides to show us the way, that only seems reasonable.

One of our group wrote a blog, which you can find here. (As I had booked a nine-day trek, we split at the end of day seven.) A far more detailed blog, from a different year, can be found here, but it is in German.

I haven't put all of my photo's online yet, but those that I did put online, you can find here. As you can see, in addition to the Rwenzori Mountains, I also visited the Virunga Volcanoes, Bwindi Impenetrable Forest (gorilla tracking) and Kibale Forest National Parks. This is me on top of Margherita (5'109m).

The following user would like to thank Tijs for this post
HeyItsBen

Return to Africa