Mt Washington, Jan 9

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Yeti

Mt Washington, Jan 9

by Yeti » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Just thought I'd toss this out there. Some friends ad I are heading out and up for a one-day ascent, likely via the Lions Head. There isn't really any more room in the car for the trip out, but anyone with some experience is welcome to follow along for the climbing part.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 pm

I climbed Mt Washington in January already. We had relatively good weather (-4F / 40 MPH winds). It could be much, much worse that time of year! Have fun!

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Bootpack it till you turn off of the main trail. If you've got Yaktrax or microspikes, I'd recommend them for the below-treeline stuff. Once you get out of the trees, 'poon it up and have a ball. Lion's Head was my first real snow climb ( :( sad, isn't it?). Lots of fun, but beware of this guy:

:wink:

Yeti

by Yeti » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:03 pm

woodsxc wrote:Image

I've been up there 3 time before, and NEVER have I seen anything like that view! It's always been like wing-walking on an airliner that's flying trough a storm cloud, nice shot.

Going off their stats, mid january is the best time of year for wind, so hopefully we'll get a show. For almost the same drive (for me), we could climb a Rockie and get a great view... and also sick, get sick too. lol

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:48 pm

Yeti wrote:
woodsxc wrote:Image

I've been up there 3 time before, and NEVER have I seen anything like that view! It's always been like wing-walking on an airliner that's flying trough a storm cloud, nice shot.

Going off their stats, mid january is the best time of year for wind, so hopefully we'll get a show. For almost the same drive (for me), we could climb a Rockie and get a great view... and also sick, get sick too. lol

This pic is from last February. Bluebird skies, moderate (for Mt. Washington) temps, and winds that topped out around 40 mph. Days like that don't come around too often.

I've never been to the Rockies in winter. Need to fix that.

Yeti

by Yeti » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:19 pm

woodsxc wrote:I've never been to the Rockies in winter. Need to fix that.

There's an app for that. ;)

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:53 am

Yeti wrote:
woodsxc wrote:I've never been to the Rockies in winter. Need to fix that.

There's an app for that. ;)

Haha. :D

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:16 pm

I have friends going new years eve. They won't know til after the 1st when the next trip is

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)