Mt. Williamson Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fortmyers-b

Mt. Williamson Conditions

by fortmyers-b » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Hello,

I'm planning to climb Williamson approx. May 22nd. (Via George Creek if that plays into your thoughts.) Regarding snow, what should I prepare for? I've read a report about a 10k ski in May, and I've read others about the mountain be bone dry in May. Does anyone have a clue how much snow is up there now, especially below tree-line? Thank you in advance. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

DukeJH

Re: Mt. Williamson Conditions

by DukeJH » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Snow measurements in the Sierra Nevada may be found at http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/index_cdec.html. Unfortunately, I dont know the nearest site to Mt. Willimason. Based on the daily snow sensor report for the Owens River/Mono Lake Drainage, it appears snow water equivalants of 0 to 9 inches exist between 9600-10750 feet, if you exclude Mammoth Pass. It looks like the High Sierra will be dry early this year.

Having said that, we just had a significant snowfall event last week that dropped around 40" on Mammoth if you believe their hype.

Deb

Re: Mt. Williamson Conditions

by Deb » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:10 am

DukeJH wrote:Snow measurements in the Sierra Nevada may be found at http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/index_cdec.html. Unfortunately, I dont know the nearest site to Mt. Willimason. Based on the daily snow sensor report for the Owens River/Mono Lake Drainage, it appears snow water equivalants of 0 to 9 inches exist between 9600-10750 feet, if you exclude Mammoth Pass. It looks like the High Sierra will be dry early this year.

Having said that, we just had a significant snowfall event last week that dropped around 40" on Mammoth if you believe their hype.

It's true. :) BTW, Lamarck Col is completely white = lotsa snow.

Return to California