Multi day backpack June suggestions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
e-doc

Multi day backpack June suggestions

by e-doc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Would like to do a 5 day hike, 2 dads with two 13yo. The boys have been backpacking since age 8 and we are all going this weekend to Mt Rogers (forecast highs 20's, lows 10's, wind and snow). Would like to do something in mid June that is not impassable by snow, bone dry or overrun with bugs or heat. I'm aware conditions always change year to year.

Any ideas for Colorado or will everything be snowed/bugged out? We had thought about River no Return in Idaho but not sure about bugs/snow. The Winds, Sierras, Uinta's, etc may have an abundance of bugs, Needles have no water and heat. Options I thought of would be Cascades: South Sister/St Helens/Mt Adams, Olympics, Paria Canyon, circumnavigation of Navajo Mt on the North and South Rainbow trails (Rainbow Bridge), Dark Canyon, the Maze, Grand Canyon, Escalante?
Just looking for ideas. send me a PM

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 am

Lost Creek Wilderness might be an option, there are otpions for a larger loop - but probably quite a bit of bugs in the valleys - but hard to evade in most swampy, forested valleys of the Rockies

tlerunner

by tlerunner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 am

Depending upon the snow this winter, you may be able to get to Missouri Lakes in the Holy Cross Wilderness. I have taken my kids there numerous times.

If there is too much snow, Lost Creek Wilderness will not disappoint you.

Floyd

by Floyd » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 pm

If you are going in late June, 4-pass loop would be my #1 suggestion, depending on how much snow would be on the passes. It could probably be negoatiated fairly easily though. San Juans and Gore Range will probably be holding a lot of snow.

Lost Creek is a great place and would be in great condition that time of year- head down Goose Creek. http://www.aroundcolorado.com/trip_repo ... LostCreek/ This trail can be extended to a larger loop. If you can manage to combine Bison/McCurdy (peak informatio on this site) it would be an incredible trip.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:11 am

The Winds, Sierras, Uinta's, etc may have an abundance of bugs

Not sure if the Sierra are quite as bad, but that's definately true of the Winds and Uintas, unless they are still buried completely in snow (unlikely so far this year since it's been a dry year).

Options I thought of would be Cascades: South Sister/St Helens/Mt Adams, Olympics,

There's usually a lot of snow that time of year, but it's a good time to climb if you know how to use an ice axe.

Paria Canyon

The lower end might be hot, but the upper end and Buckskin Gulch would be nice with the water and shaded canyons.

circumnavigation of Navajo Mt on the North and South Rainbow trails (Rainbow Bridge)

It would be hot in places, but there are plenty of swim holes and waterfalls around so it would be a good time of year to go. Also, consider combining Aztec Creek/Frobidding Canyon as part of the loop rather than coming up the South Rainbow Trail. Aztec Creek would be perfect at that time of year and is very spectacular.

Dark Canyon

Dark Canyon is perfect in June, at least below Black Steer Canyon. With all the swim holes and waterfalls, June is perfect. The best section of Dark is between Lost and Youngs Canyon.

the Maze

The Maze is nice, but skip it in June. It's way too hot then and there isn't much water around.

Grand Canyon

I would skip the Grand Canyon in June as well. If you are in that area in June, head to the canyons around Sedona such as West Clear Creek, Wet Beaver Creek and West Fork Oak Creek.

Escalante

June is perfect for many of the routes. A few are Boulder Creek, Death Hollow and 40 Mile Canyon. All have swimming and June is the best time to go.

Doublecabin

Western Sanfre de Cristo Range

by Doublecabin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 pm

IMHO the Sangre de Cristo Range is the glory of Colorado and I have had some fabulous Junes on the trails out of Crestone. There is a chance El Nino could make a traverse that early problematic, but you will almost certainly have few problems belwo 12,000' barring an epic recent storm.

Willow Lake is the most beautiful place I've ever been in Colorado. I've hit it at Ice Out twice. I don't know that you'd be able to do Challenger and Kit Carson that early, but it would be a glorious place to relax, fish, and explore. I'd spend 2 nights there, then maybe a night or two at S. Crestone Lake. See if you can google Todd Caudle's pic of Willow Lake with the spectacular falls dropping in amidst Watermellon light.

S. Zapata might also be doable by then.

If you get out of Colorado as of now I'm expecting an early hiking season in Wyoming. IF you love wildlife and perhaps stellar fishing keep up on Snotel and message me as Double Cabin at Backpacker.com as summitpost doesn't alert me to messages.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:35 am

There are some really great 3-4 day loops in western RMNP.

no avatar
COTrekker02

by COTrekker02 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 am

I second what Niederbayer mentioned...I was thinking Loss Creek Wilderness when I first read this post as the snow leaves early, you can find solitude (although weekends can be crowded) and there are 3-4-5 day loops that can be done easily through aspen forests, rocky outcrops, and mountain peaks above 12k. This area was also affected by the '02 Hayman fire so you will go through some regenerating forest and still stark burned sections.

The LCW is a beautiful place that is easily accessible (2 hours) from downtown Denver but where you can find absolute solitude. Of course, it doesn't have the staggering beauty of the Uintas, Cascades, Winds or other notable ranges...but in June most of those ranges will be loaded with snow and mostly miserable for long range travel. Just my 2c...

Brad Snider

by Brad Snider » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Might not be as big a backpack as you are looking for, but I would recommend the 4-pass loop in the Elks: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... -loop.html

Koy

by Koy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:49 am

+1 for the 4-pass loop. Make sure you take the side trip to Capitol Lake to fill in the xtra day.

Floyd

by Floyd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:24 am

Koy wrote:+1 for the 4-pass loop. Make sure you take the side trip to Capitol Lake to fill in the xtra day.

How in the world do you get to Capitol Lake off of the 4-pass in a day?

Return to Colorado