Nerds on the hills

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
fagin

Nerds on the hills

by fagin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi guys, I've got me a question here and would really appreciate any help you can give me. My good lady wife and I are going skiing in March and, as the loveable bespectacled computer nerd she is, she asked me if she could/would wear her glasses under her goggles or not. I had no idea so I changed the subject and dived into the sea of lies that is the internet. Does anyone know how she can get around the problem? She is short sighted and claims she can't afford to get a new prescription for contact lenses. I know it's not really a mountain climbing question, but I didn't know where else to ask, google was little help and you folk seem to really go out of your way to be helpful. How do the wonderful Summitposters of restricted sight get by on the hill?

Bark Eater

Re: Nerds on the hills

by Bark Eater » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Being horribly nearsighted and no fan of contact lenses, I have worn goggles over my glasses in the past. No big deal. Of course, it may depend upon the size of the glasses and the style of the goggles, but I expect she won't have a problem. Have fun!

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:31 pm

I wear glasses on an everyday basis, and I think wearing goggles over them is a huge pain in the ass. It's uncomfortable, everything fogs up and you can't see anything - basically it just sucks. It might be because I overheat quickly (I find that sometimes even glasses alone will fog up, especially in winter or on humid days). For these reasons, I own contacts and usually wear them for climbing, hiking, skiing, etc.

If getting contacts is not an option, then at least get the kind of goggles that are designed specifically to fit over eyeglasses (they do exit).

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:07 pm

I also wear glasses everyday, and while it would be nice to wear contacts for the ease of it, I haven't been successful in that endeavor, so I'm still wearing the specs.
What I've done, is use big goggles designed to go over glasses, thus they are called, OTG goggles. Pretty nice, and yeah, they can be a bit of a pain, steaming up the glasses, etc.(carry a glass rag w/you, and/or wipe first with the special anti-steam rag/stuff they make), but, overall, they work pretty well. Bigger than normal goggles, so one may look a little bug-eyed, but when you're wearing a helmet, jacket, etc. it's barely noticable. Good way to go, imo.
Here's a link to Smith, something similar to what I have. Good luck.

http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/G ... Glass+OTG/

oldandslow

by oldandslow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 pm

As noted above, the key to successful use of glasses under goggles is applying a no-fog substance--either liquid or from a nofog cloth--to the glasses. Most good goggles are treated with something to keep them from fogging so the glasses are the main problem. Many years ago my daughter bought me a pair of goggles with a fan that worked pretty well to keep the glasses clear.

drpw

by drpw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:32 am

My friends girlfriend regularly wears her glasses under these:

http://www.dogfunk.com/electric-eg2-goggle

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Without glasses, I'm helpless on the slopes, coz' I'm very nearsighted. I've got prescription sunglasses that I normally wear in the mountains, be it for skiing or otherwise.

Only if the weather isn't too good, I use goggles. They go completely over my regular glasses. Going downhill, enough air passes through the vents in my goggles to keep everything perfectly clear. Only if I stop after a long and fast descent, it clouds up sometimes. I don't use any substance to keep things clear.

If the weather is really bad, the ski tows will stop operating and that's my cue to stop too. I don't ski off piste (yet).
On mountaineering trips, I sometimes have the goggles in my pack for extra protection in case of strong winds, both to stop my eyes watering and against the wind chill, but I've rarely needed them.

fagin

by fagin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Ah, these links are good. Summitpost comes up trumps once again, thanks for all the answers guys :-)

partlyanimal

by partlyanimal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:12 am

I used to wear goggles over my glasses but like several other folks here found that they fogged up to the point where I would rip them off in disgust. What I'm using now and really like is prescription wrap around style sunglasses. They fit very close to my face and work very well in all but the most extreme conditions. Generally prescription lenses in a wrap around style frame will cause distortion because light doesn't pass through the lens at a 90 degree angle to the eye. The pair I'm using are made by Oakley and were quite expensive but Oakley has pretty well perfected the technique of grinding prescription lenses that work in a wrap around style without causing distortion. There may be other manufacturers out there who can do this as well, I don't know, I just know that the Oakleys are virtually distortion free and have worked great on countless ski and climbing trips. They will occasionally fog up when I'm not moveing because they fit so close but if I'm moving at all even the slightest amount of air flow will clear them and keep them clear.

Return to General