Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

New feature - GPX file upload and mapping for routes

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

New feature - GPX file upload and mapping for routes

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:22 am

Hello all,

I've been working on and just released a new feature for Route pages that allows page owners to upload GPX files for the route. The GPX files are parsed and mapped on Google maps and displayed on a terrain map. Along with the map, there is an elevation profile mapped on a flash chart that you can hover over to see the elevation at any distance during the route. I've uploaded a few GPX files to some of the Colorado 14ers I climbed while living in Colorado to demonstrate the capability:
http://www.summitpost.org/view_gpx.php?object_id=156516
http://www.summitpost.org/view_gpx.php?object_id=157772
http://www.summitpost.org/view_gpx.php?object_id=155444
http://www.summitpost.org/view_gpx.php?object_id=158492

Alongside and on the map there are markers that indicate the starting and stopping point for the route along with the highest and lowest elevation points.

Links to the GPX map pages can be found in the header section of the route page along with a link to download the GPX file.

To add a GPX file to a route, simply edit the route page and look for the "GPX File" upload box. Browse to the GPX file on your local computer and then hit the "Submit Changes" button.

If there are routes that you've done with a GPS and could provide a GPX file for the route page owner, please try contacting them to get the file to them. Alternatively any elf could upload the GPX file as well.

Please keep in mind that this new feature is very "beta" and I'm sure that there will be some bugs and needed additional features. Please report those here:
post-gpx-bugs-or-feature-requsts-here-t55715.html
Montana Matt
Site Admin

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
MoapaPk

Re: New feature - GPX file upload and mapping for routes

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:43 am

In the past, I've just uploaded the gpx file as an "image" and then linked to that image in the mountain or route page. There was no display on a map, but anyone could download the file.

Will try this other feature soon.
MoapaPk

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:30 am

MoapaPk wrote:In the past, I've just uploaded the gpx file as an "image" and then linked to that image in the mountain or route page. There was no display on a map, but anyone could download the file.

Right, many types of files could be uploaded as an "image" but there weren't any additional features with those files that were assumed to be images by the server. As you say, people could download the GPX file however.
MoapaPk wrote:Will try this other feature soon.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby Day Hiker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 am

That's really cool. It's right up my alley, since I record GPS track logs of everywhere I go.

I only have a couple routes of my own, but I have many many track logs of other routes, so I could submit gpx files to those pages. I wonder how the reception will be, though, since some people seem so bent out of shape about GPS use.
Day Hiker

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:38 am

Day Hiker wrote:I wonder how the reception will be, though, since some people seem so bent out of shape about GPS use.

It's a fairly unobtrusive link on the page, in the examples Matt displayed. I don't use track logs myself, but if someone gets very bent out of shape about they have some stability issue they should probably talk to a professional about.
mrchad9

Postby Gangolf Haub » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:39 pm

I might be a bit dumb - but where do I upload the GPX file. I'm looking at a particular route page of mine and can't find the link :o(
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Postby Gangolf Haub » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:I might be a bit dumb - but where do I upload the GPX file. I'm looking at a particular route page of mine and can't find the link :o(

Ah - found it - on the route page in edit mode. Just for reference...
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:I might be a bit dumb - but where do I upload the GPX file. I'm looking at a particular route page of mine and can't find the link :o(

Ah - found it - on the route page in edit mode. Just for reference...

Sorry, I should have made that clear in the initial post. I meant to but then forgot to include that bit of information. I'll modify the first post to add it.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby ytimk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 pm

That's a great feature. I was just looking for that very thing when I wrote my first trip report. I was able to put my routes on a google earth map and take a screen cap of a cool 3d view and upload that. This process was semi tedious, however. I wanted to post my .gpx file too.

Thanks for the hard work!
ytimk

Postby Montana Matt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:46 pm

ytimk wrote:That's a great feature. I was just looking for that very thing when I wrote my first trip report. I was able to put my routes on a google earth map and take a screen cap of a cool 3d view and upload that. This process was semi tedious, however. I wanted to post my .gpx file too.

Thanks for the hard work!

OK, great! You're very welcome for the hard work :) I hope that this feature proves to be useful. I think that it will.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby phlipdascrip » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:18 am

Very nice! I think it would be nice to automatically show the map on the route page itself (just like the "Images" section), e.g. just above the "Images" section. The small links in the header are just too easy to miss - and don't do justice to the usefulness of the feature.
phlipdascrip

Postby Sarah Simon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:26 am

Neat addition, Matt, I like it. I already viewed a new TR that included the GPX info. Thanks!
Go climb a mountain
Sarah Simon

Postby visentin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:45 am

Wow !! I didn't notice the apparition of this feature ! Congrats !!
Haven't tested it yet but I will ! When will GPX files be included in MBPost ?
visentin

Postby Montana Matt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:47 pm

phlipdascrip wrote:Very nice! I think it would be nice to automatically show the map on the route page itself (just like the "Images" section), e.g. just above the "Images" section. The small links in the header are just too easy to miss - and don't do justice to the usefulness of the feature.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll think about how to make the map and/or links more prominent. There is another link to the GPX map on the left navigation bar under "GEOGRAPHY".
sarah.simon wrote:Neat addition, Matt, I like it. I already viewed a new TR that included the GPX info. Thanks!

Thanks Sarah!
visentin wrote:Wow !! I didn't notice the apparition of this feature ! Congrats !!
Haven't tested it yet but I will ! When will GPX files be included in MBPost ?

Thanks! As far as including this feature in MBPost, I don't actually have access to the MBPost server, so I can't say when or if it will ever be included there.
Montana Matt
Site Admin

Postby visentin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 am

That would be good if, once the feature is finalized, to contact Ryle in order to extend to the "trail" object type in MBPost.
That would make sense and bing up MBpost at the level of many other cycling portals. And maybe attract more people than curerntly now.
visentin

Next

Return to General