It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:56 pm

News News of Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Site map of Pacific Northwest (WA, OR) » Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.

Best peaks to bag on a Mt. Rainier trip

Looking for other peaks to climb besides the obvious on a trip out to Seattle. Are there any "not to miss" places w/climbing or mountaineering? Planning a trip for next year and I'd like some local advice.
Thanks
Read more : Best peaks to bag on a Mt. Rainier trip | Views : 3028 | Replies : 10

Massive Mount Hood Topographical Maps

I used the Public Domain USGS topographical maps to create what I hope is a great resource for hikers in the Mount Hood area.

Please note the web page is graphic heavy and could take about 20-30 seconds for maps to load on broadband.

http://hrjonline.com/?p=144

These maps are located on my new blog and it has a large section devoted to a multi-year west coast climbing tour of mine. Please ignore the unpolished nature of ...
Read more : Massive Mount Hood Topographical Maps | Views : 7641 | Replies : 13

Rainier Routes in Late April?

A buddy and I will be heading up to Rainier on the last weekend of April. While I realize the whole endeavor is entirely weather dependent, any advice on what routes are generally doable at that time of year? We're looking at for a moderately technical route (Grade III) a la Liberty Ridge. The Gauthier guidebook suggests that LR isn't really in season till May? Thanks.
Read more : Rainier Routes in Late April? | Views : 2066 | Replies : 2

Mowich Lake Road in a Winnebago Rialta?

Planning to hike the Wonderland Trail in late August with a friend. I've been researching the route and decided to put in at Mowich Lake for an 11 day / 10 night trip.

My friend is traveling around the Northwest for several months this summer and will pick me up at the Seattle airport. This week he bought a 1997 Winnebago Rialta, and will be in a mini-Winni rather than the expected mini-SUV.

Will this ...
Read more : Mowich Lake Road in a Winnebago Rialta? | Views : 1687 | Replies : 4

Best place to camp between Hood and Portland

I will have one night to burn until my hotel reservation in Portalnd. Any ideas of stuff/places to go/camp after a summit of Hood. Sport climbing suggestions are welcome. (already hitting up Smith Rocks)
Read more : Best place to camp between Hood and Portland | Views : 1180 | Replies : 2

Bellingham Area March 22-26

I will possibly be in Bellingham March 22-26 with some skiers, but I, being broke, would rather climb. Assuming the weather is fine, would anyone be up for some alpine stuff on any of those days? I haven't done Shuksan or Baker, so those would be my top choices - maybe Fisher Chimneys or Coleman Headwall? I could also be talked into a ski ascent/descent of anything someone with more knowledge of the area wants ...
Read more : Bellingham Area March 22-26 | Views : 981 | Replies : 1

Rainier/Hood ski descents

Looking for anyone from CO/WY/UT area interested in an ascent/ski descent of the Fuhrer Finger on Mt. Rainier. I'm am planning on a trip to the Cascades sometime around April 25th to May 9th (dates not set in stone). The only contraints I have are for a race at Mt. Bachelor May 2nd (I also have a race April 24th so can't leave until the 25th). I would prefer to find someone from the Rockies ...
Read more : Rainier/Hood ski descents | Views : 731 | Replies : 0

Muir Snowfield

Need beta on Rainier:
Where can a climbing party camp on Muir snowfield? Are there established camps?
Are there crevasse problems getting off trail to camp there in late July?
What is route from Muir to Ingraham Flats like with a pack for a high camp? Would you recommend it?
Read more : Muir Snowfield | Views : 2307 | Replies : 4

Volcanism around Mt Daniel

Call it a hunch, but was there once a large volcano around the Mt Daniel area that has since decomposed into the present massif?
Read more : Volcanism around Mt Daniel | Views : 6351 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136452