It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:37 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

For those of us unlucky enuf to live and climb in major metropolitan areas, crowded climbing spots are becoming more and more the norm.

The other day some young climbers asked me what would “you do”.

These climbers went out to Malibux Creek to do some climbing. (sport climbing, short stuff 20 meters max) Arriving at the spot they found another party on the best warm up climb. This party was just starting up. My ...
Read more : WHAT WOULD YOU DO? | Views : 8661 | Replies : 28 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

Equipment for Western Breach, Kilimanjaro

Hi,
I'm going to Kili in the end of October, and I'm thinking of doing the Western Breach route. Which equipement is needed, beside normal gear? I've seen helmet and crampons in in equipement-lists. What about ice axes? The thing is that we will be carrying everything for ourselfs, so obviously, we want to keep the weight down. Is e.g. crampons really necessary? How much of glacier walk is there? Helmet though, I can understand. ...
Read more : Equipment for Western Breach, Kilimanjaro | Views : 4299 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Africa

can you wear single boots

on island peak, mera peak, and lobuche east?
thx.
Read more : can you wear single boots | Views : 1542 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Asia

San Gabriel Mountains - Fire Season

Well the San Gabs are ablaze once again. Looks like the Azusa Canyon area with smoke very visible from Downtown Los Angeles.
Read more : San Gabriel Mountains - Fire Season | Views : 17795 | Replies : 94 | Forum : California

What's New in the NorthWest

Other regional fora have a What's New thread, but I couldn't find one for the Pacific Northwest. So I decided to start one.

I'll go first:

At long last, my trip report is complete.
Read more : What's New in the NorthWest | Views : 5503 | Replies : 16 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

French Guide Dies on the Matterhorn Lion Ridge

ArtVandelay wrote:terrible, but the client is very lucky that he wasnt pulled off the mountain too...you are always short roped together...if the guide took a big fall and they were climbing together, he would have pulled the client off with him...if the rope was fixed on an iron(which is likely at that point in the climb), the guide would not have been able to fall further than the length of the uncoiled rope...maybe he wasnt wearing ...
Read more : French Guide Dies on the Matterhorn Lion Ridge | Views : 7131 | Replies : 14 | Forum : Europe

Annual increase of international tourism receipts

Almost all prominent resorts and hotels in Kerala give much importance to international tourism. This is due to the fact that the earnings during the peak tourism season are much more than that gained during the off season. Another notable aspect could be the size of travel receipts and their growth during favorable tourism seasons. With each passing year, the prominent resorts and hotels are continuously revamping their marketing strategies to attract more visitors to ...
Read more : Annual increase of international tourism receipts | Views : 690 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Asia

Hiking tips Mt. Blanc area in October

Hey all,

From end of september until early october I'll be near the Mont Blanc for a conference. Afterwards I wanted to go hiking a bit, but I was wondering what the options would still be around this time of year? Are the huts closed already? What to expect of the weather? I'm going with my girlfriend, so nothing too fancy for us. Any tips and ideas would be more than welcome!

Cheers,

Rick
Read more : Hiking tips Mt. Blanc area in October | Views : 10533 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Europe

Japan Hiking Ideas

My wife and I are going to Japan for the first time next week and are trying to determine what mountain trouble we can get ourselves into. We will be there just after the official climbing season for Mt. Fuji which means the crowds will be less which is appealing. Mt. Fuji doesn't appear to be the best mountain experience around but it has obvious appeal as a peak bag in case we never go ...
Read more : Japan Hiking Ideas | Views : 3019 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Asia

Midwest highpoints

Which ones are the coolest and worst
Read more : Midwest highpoints | Views : 7275 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557964 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136439