It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:47 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Illampu

Hi mates!

Anybody climbed Illampu in Cordillera Real/Bolivia during the last seasons? I only got some vague descriptions out of a Bolivian guidebook. I am interested in the Normal route.

Thanx for help.
Flo.
Read more : Illampu | Views : 1101 | Replies : 2

Parinacota - climbing it in February or March

Hello,

Has anybody climbed Parinacota in February or March ?
It is said to have more snow on the volcano. Do you confirm ?

Thanks

Antoine :wink:
Read more : Parinacota - climbing it in February or March | Views : 1432 | Replies : 1

Argentina advice

I am planning to be in Beunos Aires May-June and was wondering if any could advise about climbing/skiing during this time. Thank you.
Read more : Argentina advice | Views : 1930 | Replies : 3

Anyone heard of the company Enjoy Peru?

I am thinking of accompying the geezers (ie. my parents) on a Machu Picchu trek. They want to use this company Enjoy Peru.

Has anyone used them, are they reputable etc. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Read more : Anyone heard of the company Enjoy Peru? | Views : 1288 | Replies : 0

Cordillera Blanca access is NOT going to be restricted!!

It is under review a law that will make climbing in the Cordillera Blanca highly restrictive. A link to the British Mountaineering Council describes all the changes that are on the air
<http://www.thebmc.co.uk/news_det.asp?item_id=877>
A more extensive artcle from THe American Alpine Club can be found at http://www.americanalpineclub.org/docs/2004_Winter_AAN.pdf

A brief look at the new regulations:

The key articles affecting climbers and trekkers are;
Article 7.1: Concerning the prohibition of "free entries" for the tourist activities which ...
Read more : Cordillera Blanca access is NOT going to be restricted!! | Views : 2171 | Replies : 5

Peru Elections

No. I would still go.
Read more : Peru Elections | Views : 1588 | Replies : 1

Mountain huts in Cordillera Blanca

According the the South American Explorer (v80) there are three mountian refuges (huts) at the base camps of Huascaran, Pisco and Ishinca. All proceeds go towards constructing homes for the locals. For more information on how you can help or to make a reservation email andesdbosco@hotmail.com.

For all those lucky enough to be heading to Peru this year.
Read more : Mountain huts in Cordillera Blanca | Views : 1249 | Replies : 0

Bolivia questions

Planning a trip to Bolivia Jun 16-July25. Couple of questions regarding best places to stay while in La Paz, also Sajama is on the schedule and I've heard conditions can be quite cold. I'm contemplating what kind of sleeping bag to take and was wondering if anyone w/ experience in Bolivia or on Sajama itself can recommend a sleeping system that worked for them. Also, does anyone recommend taking overboots to Bolivia? thanks
Read more : Bolivia questions | Views : 2731 | Replies : 2

Ecuador guides

Are there any reputable Ecuadorian guide services out there that anyone with personal experience can recommend? I'm interested in Cotopaxi and Chimborazo Fall/Winter '06. (Potential partners also welcome, by the way.) Thanks! Woodie
Read more : Ecuador guides | Views : 8985 | Replies : 24

Pisco Oeste and Chopicalqui beta wanted

I did them back in '98 and the grades were correct. There are lots of people on Pisco but not so on Chopo. Pisco is straight forward and you'll have no difficult (just acclimate). Probably wthe hardest part is just getting to basecamp (the moraine was fun in '98 and I imagine its about the same now).
Read more : Pisco Oeste and Chopicalqui beta wanted | Views : 1324 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557978 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136481