Off to Chile - any suggestions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
runawayreignbow

Off to Chile - any suggestions?

by runawayreignbow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:12 am

Hi,
I'm headed to Chile in a few days and have been looking into some climbing in the area I'll be (La Serena) and have found some nice looking crags. But aside from that, wanted to know your suggestions on that area in region IV and what your experiences were? I might be willing to take a short flight but it doesn't appeal to me to go too far as my time isn't that long there (2 weeks - so prefer to not be on long bus rides) and I also want to enroll in some intensive Spanish courses. I'm trying to juggle all of these factors but if you have any suggestion that's well worth it (climbing areas/trekking), I'll think it through. So far I saw photos of the Atacama desert and was just blown away with the views from Leguna Lejia. Just stunning. Also, plan on heading out to Valle del Elqui

Thanks for your feedback,
Christine

SKI

Re: Off to Chile - any suggestions?

by SKI » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:27 am

EAT: Fish market in Coquimbo!

STAY: Cheap and awesome hostel in La Serena called "Puta Madre."

DON'T: Don't waste money on the observatories- they're pretty boring for the price you pay.

DO: See if you can score a tour at a Pisco factory in the area... Que borracho! (Search: Vicuna)

PM me if you want more info

The following user would like to thank SKI for this post
runawayreignbow

runawayreignbow

Re: Off to Chile - any suggestions?

by runawayreignbow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:05 am

SKI wrote:EAT: Fish market in Coquimbo!

STAY: Cheap and awesome hostel in La Serena called "Puta Madre."

DON'T: Don't waste money on the observatories- they're pretty boring for the price you pay.

DO: See if you can score a tour at a Pisco factory in the area... Que borracho! (Search: Vicuna)

PM me if you want more info

Gracias! I was actually going down there to visit an astronomer friend.....so I had hoped to check out the observatories. haha....I am a sucker for astronomy.

I'll look up the other suggestions - thanks again...

Return to South America