Ojos del Salado - fees from Argentina /Chile

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
makumba

Ojos del Salado - fees from Argentina /Chile

by makumba » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi, Im planning to go to Ojos last week of november ( or january ´08 ), does somebody knows the fees in the SP page r currently

USD 160.00 from Chile
USD 0.00 from Argentina ???

thanks

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... alado.html
Last edited by makumba on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:01 pm

From everything I have heard so far, if you approach form the argentina side, that is correct, there are no fees. But the approach just to get to the base of the mountain takes several days, whereas, you can drive right to base camp coming from Chile. It may be possible to get mules at Cazadero Grande, for the several day walk to the base of the mountain, sounds like you wouldn't run into to many people that way.

Andino

by Andino » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:42 pm

The Argentinian side of Puna de Atacama is totally free.
If the route you use is on the Chilean side, you will have to pay indeed. An agency has a 50 year concession for the area : http://www.aventurismo.cl/articles.php?lng=en&pg=64

The only exception is Volcan San Francisco which is on the border (by Paso San Francisco) but its route to the top is officially in Chile. You can still ascend it, with no fee, it is tolerated. Or at least nobody will come and ask you for anything.

Corax

by Corax » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:53 am

CBakwin wrote:From everything I have heard so far, if you approach form the argentina side, that is correct, there are no fees. But the approach just to get to the base of the mountain takes several days, whereas, you can drive right to base camp coming from Chile. It may be possible to get mules at Cazadero Grande, for the several day walk to the base of the mountain, sounds like you wouldn't run into to many people that way.

Yes, mulas can be hired in the C. Grande area.
Very little people are walking in from the Argentinian side, but I can warmly recommend it.

no avatar
cestydonebe

by cestydonebe » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Hello,
it´s very interesting information. We plan to go to Ojos del Salado on January. When is not fee for permit from Argentina, why is normally climb way from Chile?
How is normally way from Argentina (start city, etc.). Have anybody a map with route from Argentina. Thanks for yours reply.

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:49 pm

The approach on the Argentinian side would be fun on a mountainbike I think- is this reasonable? I would be interested.

Woodie

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:21 pm

To answer your question, why most people summit Ojos from Chile, the answer is that it is much quicker, you can drive right to the mountain.
From Argentina it is a several day hike to the base of the mountain. Reportedly it is a very plesant hike and of course there are much less people from Argentina and there are no fees. So that is the trade off

Corax

by Corax » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:39 pm

Woodie Hopper wrote:The approach on the Argentinian side would be fun on a mountainbike I think- is this reasonable? I would be interested.
Woodie

Without any gear on a sturdy mountain bike, you could probably make it to Aquas Calientes or possibly a bit further. From there on it very sandy and the rest of the route up to the first pass is too steep. It would take a lot of pushing. I wouldn't do it.

eliassegovia

by eliassegovia » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:13 pm

Does anybody know how much they charge for the mules in Cazadero Grande?
Planning on going earli february

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:15 pm

I was also planning to do this same route in early February, with mulas as well, maybe the second week, so perhaps I will see you there. Haven't heard about the cost though, sorry.

Ario

by Ario » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:06 pm

just back from Ojos (argentinian route).
the mule price :shock: is determined based on a sophisticated equation function of supply & demande, your origines, level of spanish, athm. pression :? and moon cycle !!!
I have promissed not to divulgate the price we paid...
good luck,
Ario

makumba

by makumba » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 pm

you can use that equation anywhere of the Andes :)

Ario

by Ario » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:50 pm

very true! :lol:

Return to South America