Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
 

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby Palisades79 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:19 pm

This sounds like an AT trip .I'd rather carry good food & wine 10 miles to and back from a hut than skis,board,,boots,tent,etc. Do you have a GPS if there is a storm ?
Palisades79

 
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:45 pm
Location: sacramento, California, United States
Thanked: 21 times in 18 posts

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby goldenhopper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Palisades79 wrote:This sounds like an AT trip .I'd rather carry good food & wine 10 miles to and back from a hut than skis,board,,boots,tent,etc. Do you have a GPS if there is a storm ?



Image = Image

:wink:
User Avatar
goldenhopper

 
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 pm
Location: La La Land, California, United States
Thanked: 557 times in 391 posts

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby dskoon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:40 pm

goldenhopper wrote:
Palisades79 wrote:This sounds like an AT trip .I'd rather carry good food & wine 10 miles to and back from a hut than skis,board,,boots,tent,etc. Do you have a GPS if there is a storm ?



Image = Image

:wink:


Easy there, Hopper. Even though they may get off-route on their trip, this isn't an off-route thread. :wink:
User Avatar
dskoon

 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:06 am
Location: portland, Oregon
Thanked: 136 times in 104 posts

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby fatdad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:08 pm

I admire the OP's sense of adventure, but I smell epic.
User Avatar
fatdad

 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 83 times in 57 posts

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby goldenhopper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:22 pm

dskoon wrote:
goldenhopper wrote:
Palisades79 wrote:This sounds like an AT trip .I'd rather carry good food & wine 10 miles to and back from a hut than skis,board,,boots,tent,etc. Do you have a GPS if there is a storm ?



Image = Image

:wink:


Easy there, Hopper. Even though they may get off-route on their trip, this isn't an off-route thread. :wink:


Clever, koonster! We're all good, when using the winky anything goes! :D

I agree with you fatdad, I say they go for it! I would like to see a follow up report to the trip. All too often new members don't report back on how things went in situations like this.

Did we ever hear back from that kid who was going to do Shasta on a whim?
User Avatar
goldenhopper

 
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 pm
Location: La La Land, California, United States
Thanked: 557 times in 391 posts

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby dskoon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:58 pm

goldenhopper wrote:Clever, koonster! We're all good, when using the winky anything goes! :D

I agree with you fatdad, I say they go for it! I would like to see a follow up report to the trip. All too often new members don't report back on how things went in situations like this.

Did we ever hear back from that kid who was going to do Shasta on a whim?



No, not sure we ever heard back from him. . .

I hope these guys trip goes well, and yes, they should post up afterwards and let us know how it went.
I'm sure, if they plan well, look at forecast, etc. it should go well enough. I mean, they're starting with the right attitude, bringing some wine, etc. IF they have to bivy on the way in, at least they'll be comfortable and having a good time. :D

Edit: Oops, I guess the mention of "good food and wine," etc. was from Palisades' advice on what he'd bring, which I totally agree with, unless, of course, there happens to be some epic skiing/snowboarding in close proximity to this hut. Again, depends on conditions, etc. But, for some first-timers hiking in, I think going as light as possible with the idea of having a good time once you got there, ie, the "good food and wine," etc. would be a worthy goal. Board, boots, etc. seems like much weight and might just equate with a slower trip in. But, we'll find out. Best o' luck to the Op and crew.
User Avatar
dskoon

 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:06 am
Location: portland, Oregon
Thanked: 136 times in 104 posts

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby fatdad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:24 am

Just in case my post might be construed otherwise, I wish them a fun and safe trip. Some of my best adventures and biggest breakthroughs came from sticking my neck out farther then some thought I should. My concern came from the feeling that the OP was blithely unaware of the specifics of his planned trip. I say go for it, but do your homework and remember something that I never considered when younger--that if you get in trouble, you put others in peril if they need to come and save your bacon.
User Avatar
fatdad

 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 83 times in 57 posts

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby goldenhopper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Don't backpedal fatdad, you want them all to DIE so you can sue the park! :wink: :lol:
User Avatar
goldenhopper

 
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 pm
Location: La La Land, California, United States
Thanked: 557 times in 391 posts

Re: Ostrander Hut, Yosemite, Ca

Postby akozub » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:48 am

I have reservations for OSTRANDER SKI HUT this weekend that I'm not going to be able to use. The reservation 100% transferable. It's for (3) people/ (2) nights Sun. Feb. 26 - Tues. Feb. 28th.

Please let me know if you know anyone who's interested. I hate to throw them away.

a_kozub@hotmail.com -e-mail
559.259.0754 -cell

Alex Kozub
Fresno, Ca.
User Avatar
akozub

 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: fresno, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Previous

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.