Overnight in the wilderness alone with a dog

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
jstcyr

Overnight in the wilderness alone with a dog

by jstcyr » Sat May 03, 2014 1:50 am

Hi everybody,

I do plan to hike and camp solo in the white mountains in two weeks with my dog. I'm well prepared and can handle freezing weather without any problems.

My original plan is to reach Thirteen Falls tentsite on the first day, then hike a mountain per day: Owls Head, Galehead and Garfield on the third day.

My many questions, to everybody with experience in solo hikes, is about being alone in the wilderness with my dog. Do you guy think, since it will be on mid-May, that I should avoid that kind of trip or bring something more? (The tentsite won't be staffed before early june).

Last year.... the had bear encounters with campers.... should I be concern about it?

I'll have bear deterrent and the following essentials for my hikes and camping:

For Summer Day Hikes:
The Ten Essentials:

Map
Compass
Warm Clothing:
Sweater or Pile Jacket
Long Pants (wool or synthetic)
Hat (wool)
Extra Food and Water
Flashlight or Headlamp
Matches/Firestarters
First Aid Kit/Repair Kit
Whistle
Rain/Wind Jacket and Pants
Pocket Knife

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Outdoor ... safety.htm

Any suggestions? Hints? Experiences in solo in the wilderness?

Thanks for your advices! :wink:
Jean

A picture of me and my dog on top of Tecumseh....!

ChrisJahn

Re: Overnight in the wilderness alone with a dog

by ChrisJahn » Sat May 03, 2014 4:35 pm

I used to a hike up to 4,000m with my boxer, Jasper, RIP. As you know a dog is a great companion (at times better than many humans!) and you are never alone. I think you have a great adventure waiting and should just go for it but take a SPOT or some form of communication. I can't offer advice on bear country but if that is a concern I would assume a dog might attract too much attention.

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue May 06, 2014 12:09 am

13 falls has had some bear activity in recent years. They've put in a bear box now, that should help. Also, mid-May is rather early. Bears are awake but won't necessarily be hanging around the campsites until after school lets out. (To give you an idea how little-used the site is: the caretaker doesn't move in until June. So there's not a ton of food around in May.)

There's really not much you can do besides keep your food in the bear box. No gear (other than a large-caliber firearm or a building made of concrete with a steel door) is going to make a difference to a bear.

I've camped solo in the whites many times. I worry a lot more about people than I do about bears. In the last decade I've had maybe four bear encounters, generally the bear vanishes as soon as he sees me (the exceptions were curious cubs).

I might be slightly worried about a dog going nuts and attacking a bear, but there's a point where you just have to choose not to stay home.

It currently dips into the 40s overnight, so be sure you have a warm sleeping bag and/or extra clothing you are comfortable sleeping in, and some way of keeping the dog warm if needed (that he doesn't object to). Snowline (in the shade) is maybe 3000 feet, and rising. You may encounter ice; bring microspikes. You won't need snowshoes on your itinerary, but choose boots that can handle some snow.

no avatar
ragazzo

by ragazzo » Wed May 07, 2014 3:34 pm

I don't have any info or advice to ad, but I'm hoping that you'll post a TR or share a bit of your trip here afterwards. I've been thinking about going up there solo with my dog at some point this summer. We're starting with a short solo overnight here in NJ in a few weeks to see how it goes. We've done a couple car camping weekends to see how he does in the tent at night and it's been pretty successful so far.

jstcyr

by jstcyr » Wed May 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks everybody for your advices. I changed my plan and will postpone my trip to NH to June, when the place will be staffed and more crowded.

Bear encounter during day isn't an issue. It's more about the night with a dog... in an empty camping... and I saw an Owl's Head report (*) where bear paw print have been seen in the area last sunday. Also add that my dog looks like a sheep... hahaha!

So, I changed my plan slightly: I'll go for a four day hiking on the "Traversée de Charlevoix" (Charlevoix traverse). This is a 65 miles long trail with cabins in Quebec. I'll hike the first three days of the traverse and come back on an exit road since dog's aren't allowed on the provincial park (the fourth day of the 65 miles trail).

I'll be in bear country too (there a lot in this area) but won't have to deal with the idea that there's only a slight tent between me and the bear... :|

nartreb wrote:They've put in a bear box now,

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure about it, so, was about to buy a bear canister...! :)

ragazzo wrote:but I'm hoping that you'll post a TR or share a bit of your trip here afterwards

It's not part of the new england, but if you guy wanna hear about the Charlevoix Traverse, let me know.

Thanks again for your advices!
Jean

(*) = http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh ... ryid=16484

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)