Pacific peak vs Quandary

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Bernad

Pacific peak vs Quandary

by Bernad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi all, this is my first post. I am a relatively inexperienced hiker, I've always hiked but living in Illinois our hiking is more walking through trees. Anyways in September I climbed quandary and that was my first real summit. It was hard but I made it just fine. I'm planning another trip out to colorado in June and I'm wondering how pacific peak compares as far as difficulty goes. I know it's lower but is the terrain more difficult? Like I said, quandary is pretty much my only comparison. Any input on what to expect out of it would be great, thanks guys!

Sarah Simon

Re: Pacific peak vs Quandary

by Sarah Simon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Bernad,

Pacific is a striking peak! Good choice.

Pacific will require more route=finding than Quandary (which only requires following a herd-path to the summit via the standard route). Otherwise, the route you select on Pacific will determine your difficulty level. I ascended the peak via the Northeast Slopes route in "dry" conditions (actually full of ice and self-releasing rock projectiles) and found it relatively hellish (loose and steep), but this same route would likely be a dream in May snow conditions.

Visit the Pacific Peak page here on SP and leaf through the routes. This should provide you a good taste of what you'll experience on-mountain.

Enjoy!
Sarah
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
Bernad

virginiapine

Re: Pacific peak vs Quandary

by virginiapine » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Definitely a step up from the trail on Quandary! All the ridgelines are quite interesting alpine terrain. N. Face has some fun snow lines in the spring/early summer. Even some decent alpine rock lines on the N-side buttresses of the E. Ridge (~5.6-7, 7-8 pitches). This section of the Mosquito Range has some great truly alpine peaks.

Note that "lower" does not equal "easier". Quandary has that easy broad E. Ridge (practically a face) while Pacific has no such analogue, unless you can get up from the SE where the E. Ridge hits the plateau where Pacific Tarn is - it's been too long, I can't quite remember what it looks like there. I climbed the E. Face of Fletcher Mtn via some really fun couloirs and then traversed the connecting ridge to Atlantic Pk, all quite interesting. Since I descended somewhere along the E. side of Atlantic with no rappels, I imagine this would be an easier route up...

Cheers,
Michael Doyle
Charlottesville, VA

Return to Colorado