pants for glissading

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
charley

pants for glissading

by charley » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Someone on another site is having trouble getting signed up on summitpost so I am posting this question.
I've really taken to glissading on my past few climbs, but during my last glissade I ripped open my pants, which were just Columbia hiking pants at that point. I want to know what is durable enough for this kind of activity, but still not overwhelmingly heavy so as to be too hot in active conditions. In would help if such pants could be found at Sports Authority, having a sizable give certificate to there, but REI or other online retailers are just as welcome....thanks.

John Duffield

Re: pants for glissading

by John Duffield » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:29 pm

I did a long glissade Monday in my Patagucci Mixmaster bib. I think having a tight denier (not derriere) is important.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:06 pm

A buddy of mine bought some cheap, heavier nylon, kinda like Helly Hanson style, and cut the legs off below the knees. Seemed to work for him.

westhegimp

by westhegimp » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:08 am

REI Taku pants delaminated on my first, I mean my friends first trip. Due to a series of long and icy glissades. Don't do it!

Somewhere I saw a pair of modified shorts with clips too attach them securely to your butt, just for glissading! Clips around waist and each leg.

I just break out the precip rain pants.

Wes

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:55 am

Patagonia Guide pants fit the bill. Heavy enough to survive abrasion but dry quickly and are stretchy and breathable enough to be comfortable on approach and exit.

dan2see

by dan2see » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:42 am

Your pants don't have to be durable to withstand the snow. It's the rocks under the snow!

The rocks and gravel and scree and tree branches will tear at the fabric where the pressure is greatest -- under your butt. :evil: So if you can avoid the rocks, you'll avoid the tears.

Any extra layer should help your pants survive, because the outer layer will take the brunt of abrasion. But if your slide is long one, it's just a matter of time. I usually buy work pants from second-hand stores, so it's easy to throw them out when I get home.

Last spring, I had to glissade down a nice deep snowdrift. But I didn't have much for layers, just summer-weight short-shorts. The deep snow was great fun, but I got snow in my under-pants. :oops:

gphillips

Shorts

by gphillips » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:08 am

My buddy has a pair of glissading shorts that he bought quite a few years ago. I've never seen another pair. I think they were made by Yates. They are meant to go over your climbing pants and have webbing cinches at the thigh to keep snow out. The seat is reinforced with urethane-coated Cordura - very burly, but makes for some pretty fast glissading. Patagonia Backcountry Guides or Alpine Guides work great for me and seem to handle the abrasion pretty well.

drpw

by drpw » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Marmot Precips, TNF Venture Pants, REI Ultralight Pants. You don't wear 'em on approach unless it's cold or windy and jsutified and then just throw them on real quick right before you slide down.

Also, you should try skis if you think glissading is fun.

Baarb

by Baarb » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:10 am

dan2see wrote:Your pants don't have to be durable to withstand the snow. It's the rocks under the snow!

I've found that ice can also shred your clothes. Am thinking about doing my next lot of glissading in my survival bag, fortunately I've never had to use it for its actul purpose.

WML

by WML » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:16 am

I am a large fan of glissading in these...

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:24 pm

I used to sew a patch of leather to the seats of my pants.

A better solution is to do a standing glissade instead.

bdizzle

by bdizzle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 pm

i use my sun mountain golf rain pants! they work great! i have done a few long ones with them and they are still in good shape!

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Rob

by Rob » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:45 am

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:A better solution is to do a standing glissade instead.

Yep, and it's way more fun!...but it does requires alot more skill to do it safely. I think it helps if you know how to ski, and big boots are good too. I have done sitting glissades, but always end up with a soaked butt afterwards.

This type of device seems like a good idea, except it's one more thing to carry:
http://jmjula4.home.comcast.net/~jmjula4/slider.htm

SKI

by SKI » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 am

A better solution to glissading pants...

The following user would like to thank SKI for this post
Sierra Ledge Rat

Next

Return to General