PERMISSION to hike Blanca Basin??

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Paradigm14

PERMISSION to hike Blanca Basin??

by Paradigm14 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:16 am

Does anyone know who owns the property south of Mt. Blanca? Thank you!! :)

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: PERMISSION to hike Blanca Basin??

by Scott » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:04 am

I don't remember who owns it, but they don't give permission and are hostile to hikers. You can climb the southwest ridge of Little Bear above the basin.

Paradigm14

by Paradigm14 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:06 pm

Thank you, Scott. That's what I keep hearing. I was hoping I could get special permission. I wondered if the property owner might like to accompany me. It happens that I was rescued from there last summer......

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Property ownership will be recorded at a Registry of Deeds, which will be located at the county seat. Assuming I've got the right Blanca Peak, that would be Costilla County... They don't have an office they call Registry of Deeds, but the office of the County Clerk and Recorder handles deeds. Specifically, you want to contact the Costilla County Assessor, whose phone number is listed on this page:
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/costil ... -directory

If the property has been sold since 1997, you will find the deed online at icounty.org.

Scratch that. You can find it here:
http://costillaco.mygisonline.com/

I'm guessing you're talking about parcel number 41000032, which is held by a holding company. You'll see an address for the company and the name of a ranch manager. Should be easy to track down from there.

Paradigm14

by Paradigm14 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Thank you for the information. Yes, I reached one property holder. He's giving us a day pass, but it looks like I'll need to contact another adjoining property holder as well. I really appreciate the information! Very helpful. :)

Paradigm14

by Paradigm14 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Update: I was given a one day pass/approval to go on the property. Unfortunately, that's not enough time. I would have to do a short in-and-out trip in a single day, or completely traverse the property in a one day or have someone shuttle my car or pick me up on the opposite side of the property which would be quite a logistical challenge and maybe too physically demanding (especially with a heavy pack).

Thank you everyone for the information though....

Return to Colorado