pico d'aneto in spain

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:01 am

Hi,

The normal route of Aneto is over a 5 Km long glacier. They usually say that September to November is the worst season to climb the mountain because the crevasses open and the possible fallen snow could cover them. I think you wont need crampons but an ice axe would be recommendable and 2 poles could help you as well. However you wont be wrong if you bring a pair of crampons with you. A roped team would be a very good idea when crossing Glaciar de Aneto. Take care when passing Paso de Mahoma, a short but narrow comb before the summit cone.

BTW, Grizzlies will have a very good base this year, "La Bomba" Navarro is a great player

Tomás Blázquez

by Tomás Blázquez » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:26 am

Hello!
I will recommend you to bring crampons and an ice-axe by the normal route (from Renclusa hut). In september, the glacier is covered by ice (the snow dissapears during the summer). A rope can be useful, but only indispensable when the snow covers the crevasses. If you follow the path on the snow/ice on the glacier is very difficult to fall in it. Be careful in the final ridge (puente de Mahoma), a 50 meters rugged ridge where you have to use the hands!
Good luck! :wink:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:54 pm

Yep, bring crampons and ice axe with you. That time you said is correct (from Plan de la Senarta), add 2 hours if your pace is not as fast.

I hope Grizzlies do a better season than the last

Diego Sahagún

Re: pico II

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:40 am

gwinscott wrote:yes, i hope the grizzlies will do well this yr and there will be some solid players from spain contributing. who knows maybe pau's little brother will be joining in the near future..

I know nothing about Marc Gasol moving to Grizzlies

Rafa Bartolome

by Rafa Bartolome » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:03 pm

the Aneto yesterday from Tempestades (I'm sorry but the glacier and normal route is in the other side). You can to see the summit and the ridges without snow, you can to supose what the glacier had ice in this moment:
http://www.summitpost.org/image/330400/150964/aneto-se-face.html

image of the last km of the glacier:
http://www.summitpost.org/image/20058/150964/pico-de-aneto.html
if you want a secure climb crampons and ice-axe are advisables, it's o.k.
if you love the risk and the adventure you can to climb without it, many people climb this mountains every year without nothing, even without boots!!!!!!! (I remenber one person with sport-shoes in the glacier in 2004,... amazing!). Almost all the glacier is plain but you can to see the last meters in the image with more inclination. I love the security more than the risk. It's personal.
good luck in the honeymoon!

Return to Europe