Pisco - boots and some other Q

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
nattfodd

by nattfodd » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Altitude does not work linearly. An extra thousand feet at 18k is going to feel very different than the same at 12k, so you should play it safe and take the time to acclimatize properly. It will make your trip so much more enjoyable.

For a 4 days trek, Santa Cruz is a no-brainer, and a really beautiful trek, though it can get a bit crowded. You can also do day treks from Huaraz (laguna 69, laguna Churup among others), of varying difficulty, so taking two or three in a row can help with shorter acclimatization schedules.

I have had a really good experience with the agency "Andean Kingdom", just opposite to the Casa de Guias, both for organizing treks and climbs. And of course Ted from Skyline Adventures is a great guy and I haven't heard anything but praise of his services.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Luciano136 wrote:I had two additional questions:

* For US residents, what insurance (accident) did you buy?

* a 4 day acclimatization trek is recommended before starting the 4 day climb to the summit. What have you done? I was only planning on 2 days instead and climbing to 14k the week before here in the US? I can pretty much go to 13-14k without problems from sea level but I have no idea what 19k feels like.

I haven't bought any additional insurance, just always figured on using my blue-cross or cash money if need be.

You want to maybe do an easy hike outside of Huaraz to start off with and then something like Laguna Churup. After that you could maybe camp at Cebollapampa and do a day hike one day (maybe up to Laguna 69) followed by a move up to Pisco base camp or moraine camp. The usual routine is to do the two hikes around Huaraz, then the Santa Cruz Trek, followed by climbing Pisco.

As far as what it feels like, the real problem for me is that I get out of breath easily when going up a steep slope (over 16k is tougher than over 13k) - don't have any major sleeping problems or other altitude sickness problems as long as I take my time and acclimatize.

eferesen

by eferesen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:53 pm

I would go with the Santa Cruz trek. Yes it is crowded but not bad at all. You get to see Santa Cruz, Alpamayo, Quitaraju, Artesonraju, Taulliraju and others. I thought the view from Punta Union was quite exceptional. Also when you are on the summit of Pisco you get to see the other side of Artesonraju (spectacular) plus the Huandoys, Chopicalqui and Huascarans.

The only problems is the trek is usually 4 days. On another note: You will see more cow dung than you have ever witnessed in your life.

Luciano136 wrote:I had two additional questions:

* a 4 day acclimatization trek is recommended before starting the 4 day climb to the summit. What have you done? I was only planning on 2 days instead and climbing to 14k the week before here in the US? I can pretty much go to 13-14k without problems from sea level but I have no idea what 19k feels like.

MRoyer4

by MRoyer4 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 pm

After a day of rest and exploration in Huaraz, Laguna Churup is a pretty standard (but spectacular) dayhike. If you aren't up for the long drive and 4 days for the Santa Cruz, you could go with a up and back in the Quilcayhuanca. Spend a night or two up high at the end of the valley. Sleeping high really aids acclimatization. You could also spend a night high in the Quilcayhuanca and then add another night or two at Cebollapampa or Pisco base camp.

Another alternative, if you enjoy sport climbing, is to head out to Hatun Machay. It's a growing sport climbing area at ~4,200m. To get some aerobic exercise while there consider hiking up the highest hill around (~ 5,000m) to catch the sunrise/sunset over the Blanca/Huayhuash.

I did Churup then Hatun Machay last year and felt better than my previous visit when I did Churup and some trekking. Lots of factors though. Be sure to be a germophobe while in Huaraz.

iechegar

by iechegar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 pm

As I'm a Peruvian citizen, I can't really answer your first question.

As for acclimatization trek, people do Santa Cruz-Llanganuco before doing Pisco, that takes 2-3 nights. Doing Pisco after that should be a one night 2-day thing.

I didn't do Pisco, so when I did Vallunaraju I went for a 2-day trek to Quebrada Quilcayhuanca. Easy slopes and nice camping site with excelent views of several peaks. You can also do Pitec-Churup and then Quilcayhuanca if you want. Everything is very close to Huaraz and you get to around 14,000 over sea level so good aclimatization.

I guess I need to start writing a TR about Vallunaraju and Quilcayhuanca...but as native spanish speaker I need to find time for an English write-up...

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks for all the info!!

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:34 pm

iechegar wrote:I didn't do Pisco, so when I did Vallunaraju I went for a 2-day trek to Quebrada Quilcayhuanca.

Since Vallunaraju is not much lower than Pisco and done in only two days instead of four, that makes me think a 2 day warmup might work. What elevation do you live at?

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:26 pm

But read the small print because

'reddingen bij het aanvangen van een top boven de 6.000 meter indien niet in de context van een ‘trekking’ zijn uitgesloten'

Meaning, if you break a leg on a mountain higher than 6000 meters, your kbf insurance won't help you.

But, Pisco is 5752m so you should be fine :)

More info

http://www.klimenbergsportfederatie.be/ ... kering.php

Haliku

by Haliku » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:35 pm

I use the AAC for rescue insurance and for other general travel insurance needs I use a link I got from the SAE years ago. Cheers!

iechegar

by iechegar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:47 pm

I live in Lima so that would be pretty much sea level although I usually go hiking in the Sierra of Lima around 15,000 once or twice a month

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Iwantpnpback wrote:Still looking for an insurance for aconcagua ... Anyone who has an idea for belgian citizens?

Hijacker :D

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:06 pm

iechegar wrote:I live in Lima so that would be pretty much sea level although I usually go hiking in the Sierra of Lima around 15,000 once or twice a month

Cool! I'm up at elevation at least every other week (not 15k though).

Brad F

by Brad F » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Check out the Way Inn if you decide to hike up to Churup. Nice place!

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Iwantpnpback wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:
Iwantpnpback wrote:Still looking for an insurance for aconcagua ... Anyone who has an idea for belgian citizens?

Hijacker :D

I helped you with the cheapest insurance you will ever find and now you won't give me anything in return? :cry:

Haha, just kidding! I still need to check out all the links. Busy busy

iechegar

by iechegar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Luciano136 wrote:
iechegar wrote:I live in Lima so that would be pretty much sea level although I usually go hiking in the Sierra of Lima around 15,000 once or twice a month

Cool! I'm up at elevation at least every other week (not 15k though).

It really doesn't matter that much as you tend to loose aclimatization fairly fast.

About altitude, even though Lima sits next to the ocean, we have quite high mountains closeby in the Cordillera Central

PreviousNext

Return to South America