Pisco - boots and some other Q

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Luciano136

Pisco - boots and some other Q

by Luciano136 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Pretty decided on doing Pisco now. It looks like they do recommend plastic boots. Is that really necessary? I always have really warm feet. Looks like temps are mostly above 0 as well, so that seems plenty 'warm'. Wouldn't a regular mountaineering boot be sufficient?

Also, I'm planning on spending another week after the climb for some sight seeing. Any recommendations? It could involve some hiking but no more peak bagging.

fvinces

by fvinces » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:58 am

You do not need plastic boots for Pisco. You will climb from the morraine or base camp to the summit in one day so they will not be necessary.

etai101

sight seeing

by etai101 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:58 am

plastic boots on pisco are for self assurance.
the one day laguna trips are very nice (churup,69),
but the most iimpressive scenery is with in the range taking a multi day walk.
in my opinion the cedros alpamayo is the most beatifull and issolated.
you can also go for a organazed attraction like a canyoning trip down some waterfals.

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:04 am

Leather boots should be just fine if you are going in the climbing season (june - september), plus plastic boots on the moraine would be a pain. Depending on your experience level, there are more interesting summits than Pisco, though. For instance Yanapaccha, which is only slightly more difficult but sees very little traffic, has a nicer approach and a gorgeous BC.

As the others said, there are plenty of great climbs and treks in the Cordillera Blanca, and even some good sport climbing not too far away.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks!! I would indeed be going in the season (July-ish). I'd probably use a Lowa mountaineering boot.

I chose Pisco because it will be the first time in the area and needs to be easy enough for the wife to tag along. If this is a great experience, I'm pretty sure I would be back for more later.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 pm

How about tents btw? They mention 4 season. I have a 3 season Black Diamond Hi-light. I feel like that should be sufficient paired with a 0 degree bag.

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:18 pm

No worries with a borderline 3 seasons like the high-light. Unless you're very unlucky, temps should be very nice (assuming it's 0 fahrenheit and not celsius...).

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:27 pm

nattfodd wrote:No worries with a borderline 3 seasons like the high-light. Unless you're very unlucky, temps should be very nice (assuming it's 0 fahrenheit and not celsius...).

Thanks for another quick reply! Yes, 0F :). I even believe some guides provide tents but just wanted to make sure in case they don't (or if mine is much smaller and lighter).

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 pm

I've managed just fine with a 15 degF bag and the tents I've used were probably 3 to 4 season - not super-heavy-duty 4 season. Some agencies will provide just about everything you need (some will nickel and dime you for it), but guides generally don't provide equipment for you and don't cook (if you just hire an independant guide, you'll have to provide food and cook for the guide). I've always gone with Skyline (http://www.skyline-adventures.com/); they provide everything I need (including plastic boots) at no extra cost, their rates are very good, and their staff very competent and easy to get along with.

iechegar

Give a thought to Vallunaraju

by iechegar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Give a thought to Vallunaraju. A nice and easy peak very close to Huaraz. I understand Pisco has a long moraine, something Valluna doesn't have. I did Vallunaraju (5686) last November with plastics but my guide used leather boots with no problems at all.

You will be fine with the 3-season tent as long as you bring a good sleeping bag. I would suggest using the tent that your agency/guide provides insteads of buying one.

I will be attempting Pisco myself 2nd half of June or July, would be good to know about your progress.

Cheers![/b]

Luciano136

Re: Give a thought to Vallunaraju

by Luciano136 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:10 am

iechegar wrote:Give a thought to Vallunaraju. A nice and easy peak very close to Huaraz. I understand Pisco has a long moraine, something Valluna doesn't have. I did Vallunaraju (5686) last November with plastics but my guide used leather boots with no problems at all.

You will be fine with the 3-season tent as long as you bring a good sleeping bag. I would suggest using the tent that your agency/guide provides insteads of buying one.

I will be attempting Pisco myself 2nd half of June or July, would be good to know about your progress.

Cheers![/b]

Shoot me a message when you have a definite date. I always like to meet other people from this site :)

Do you have any pics of your Vallunaraju climb btw?

iechegar

by iechegar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:31 am

I PMed you with links to my pictures...My profile pic is from the summit! Hopefully we end up meeting in Huaraz.

snowflake

by snowflake » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:48 am

This may sound strange, but I broke my foot on Pisco while wearing my light hikers on the wide moraine just after the hut (which wasn't there when I climbed). Another climber above me set off a talus slide and my foot got caught in it, wedged between two rocks. The impact broke my metatarsal; I thought it was just bruised until an x-ray (in the states a week later) confirmed it was broken. Still went on and summited wearing my plastics.

My freak accident aside, I don't think plastics are necessary but if Pisco is a warmup to another peak then you may as well bring them on Pisco too.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 pm

iechegar wrote:I PMed you with links to my pictures...My profile pic is from the summit! Hopefully we end up meeting in Huaraz.

Thanks for your message!!

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 pm

I had two additional questions:

* For US residents, what insurance (accident) did you buy?

* a 4 day acclimatization trek is recommended before starting the 4 day climb to the summit. What have you done? I was only planning on 2 days instead and climbing to 14k the week before here in the US? I can pretty much go to 13-14k without problems from sea level but I have no idea what 19k feels like.

Next

Return to South America