Plane ticket Lima to Huaraz

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
eferesen

Plane ticket Lima to Huaraz

by eferesen » Mon May 18, 2009 8:16 pm

Greetings:

I was wondering if there is safe website or other source to buy a plane ticket from Lima to Huaraz?

Thanks

Kp10

by Kp10 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:29 pm

I don't know anything about the websites but I was checking out info about flights last year and was told that the flight times are unpredictable and that the luggage allowance is really small. The bus trip from Lima is actually pretty cool with lots of different landscapes. Movil tours offer a good safe service which takes about 8 hours. There's usually a couple of buses during the day or an overnight service.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon May 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Since these are the only guys who fly from Lima to Huaraz, I'd guess they're the only ones you can buy a ticket from:

http://www.lcbusre.com.pe/

snowflake

by snowflake » Mon May 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Thirteen years ago I got a ride from the people at Casa de Guias, back then it was run by a climber named Sergio. I am too lazy to check the web to see if they are still around and if they will run a shuttle. On the way back to Lima I just caught a bus.

TYeary

by TYeary » Tue May 19, 2009 4:06 am

There are flights each day from Lima to Anta. The ride from anta to Huaraz is included in the fare. The real problem is the weight restrictions on this flight. You could ship your bags ahead on the bus and fly up. This wouldn't save much real time but the photographic possibilities might be good if the weather's clear. Chris Benway at the Cafe Andino, Huaraz, can make these arrangements for you. Cafeandino@hotmail.com.

eferesen

by eferesen » Tue May 19, 2009 5:42 am

Thanks a lot for the useful tips. I still debating if I should fly or take the bus from Lima to Huaraz. Haven't made up my mind yet. Thanks again

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue May 19, 2009 2:33 pm

Take the bus!!!!! Not only will you avoid the severe baggage restrictions (1 checked bag and 1 carry on, with weight restrictions on both), but once you get out of Lima (a couple of hours) you'll see some great scenery. Oh, and on the way out of Lima you'll see how poor some parts of the world are and hopefully have a better appreciation for what we've got here.

eferesen

by eferesen » Tue May 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Take the bus!!!!! Not only will you avoid the severe baggage restrictions (1 checked bag and 1 carry on, with weight restrictions on both), but once you get out of Lima (a couple of hours) you'll see some great scenery. Oh, and on the way out of Lima you'll see how poor some parts of the world are and hopefully have a better appreciation for what we've got here.

I am leaning towards the bus. Do I have to make a reservations for the bus or will it be okay to get a ticket once I get there?

mr.kurt

by mr.kurt » Tue May 19, 2009 4:10 pm

My buddy and I flew LC Busre this past fall from Lima to Huaraz. We never received receipts or confirmations when purchasing from their website, and I seem to recall my friend's card being charged twice. But in the end, it all worked out.

As others here mention, the weight restrictions are a pain, so we shipped our excess via bus.

The return trip to Lima was quite an adventure. While at the Huaraz airport, police with riot gear and machine guns surrounded the runway and filled the building. We never did find out what was going on, but the flight attendant put us on a taxi back to town. There she arranged for another taxi to drive us all the way to Lima, and refunded our tickets.

As Buz mentions above, the scenery and culture along that drive are quite amazing!

Because of all this we missed our flight home, which was on a separate itinerary. LC Busre put me on a flight on LAN later that night. They put my buddy up in a hotel for the night and flew him back to the States the next day.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue May 19, 2009 5:15 pm

The people I deal with (Skyline Adventures) always make reservations. You can go to www.cruzdelsur.com.pe and do it online. The slightly higher priced ticket gets you a bigger reclining seat on the lower level of the bus (still great view). A week ahead should do (unless you're travelling the week of July 28th) so you can get your return reservation from Huaraz rather than online.

sistinas

by sistinas » Tue May 19, 2009 5:34 pm

The bus is great - I agree with the previous replies and would like to add you'll also get to watch some ancient bootlegs of bad American movies dubbed into Spanish with English subtitles (we got an old Christmas movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sinbad as well as a horrible sniper flick with Stephen Baldwin). They'll also feed you. I was surprised that the bus food was actually kind of tasty. Bathrooms were very clean on both rides for me too. It's overall a really good experience, much better than even taking the Greyhound here.

mkpatrick

by mkpatrick » Tue May 19, 2009 6:09 pm

The bus worked well for us, we actually caught a over night bus. Seats were comfortable enough to get a few hours of sleep and we dodged a night at a hotel or hostel. Hit the ground running the next morning.

Brad F

by Brad F » Tue May 19, 2009 6:11 pm

I will be taking the bus from Lima to Huaraz on June 13.

TYeary

by TYeary » Tue May 19, 2009 9:18 pm

I've taken the bus, Cruz del Sur, many times to and from Lima to Huaraz. I recomend the morning bus to Huaraz, that way you can get a great view of the country you're traveling through. Coming back, if you arrange your flight out in the afternnon, you can get the overnight bus to Lima and sleep(sort of) all the way to the San Isidro Station and then taxi over to the airport that morning, for your flight. On the bus you will be rewarded with, as mentioned above, movies, bingo, and lunch. It's not that bad at all. About 4 hours along the coast and then turning inland you climb up to a pass which is at about 12.000'. Here you will see the southern peaks of the Blanca as you turn north and descend into the Rio Santa Valley. Huaraz is about a hour away.

no avatar
farrgo

by farrgo » Fri May 22, 2009 6:59 am

Definately take the bus. You get the mystery meat and some nasty bubble gum flavored Inca Cola. Also, if you're really lucky they will play Micheal Bolton music videos.

Next

Return to South America