Wheeler (NM) Next Week - Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Stu Brandel

Wheeler (NM) Next Week - Conditions?

by Stu Brandel » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:09 pm

I will be in the Santa Fe area next week and am wondering what the conditions are - will snowshoes be needed? Any other recommendations around Taos or Santa Fe would be great too. I am more of a hiker and light scrambler.

birdhead

Re: Wheeler (NM) Next Week - Conditions?

by birdhead » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:33 pm

I hiked up nearby Gold Hill last weekend via Long Canyon. Below tree line above 10,500 feet there were copious amounts of soft snow and it was a real slog up to the ridge. I didn't have snowshoes but definitely wish I had them. Once above tree line and on the ridge things were mostly clear or avoidable. Looking over at Wheeler it seems like the snow is mostly avoidable above tree line and on the ridge, especially if you are planning to take Bull of the Woods. I have a friend that was up on Wheeler two weeks ago and he descended via Williams Lake and said there was a lot of snow on that route.

The following user would like to thank birdhead for this post
Stu Brandel

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:43 am

Any updates from this past weekend?

sgb02d

by sgb02d » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Planning on doing bull of the woods early next week with an overnight stay in La Cal basin. Will report. If anyone been on recently, would also like to know.

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:03 pm

You might want to keep an eye on smoke conditions. If you were going today, it might not be bad, though a little further south in the Pecos it looks rough. I'm hearing from friends that air quality is quite bad in Santa Fe now. A lot can change in a week, for better or worse, but I'd probably want a backup plan in Colorado or something.

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/fire

The following user would like to thank jfrishmanIII for this post
jdzaharia, sgb02d

sgb02d

by sgb02d » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:29 pm

Holy smokes (no pun intended). Thanks for the heads up was completely oblivious to the wild fire situation . Just looked at a time lapsed satellite showing the smoke heading straight towards wheeler. Hopefully the winds blow in favor of clear skies a few days out from now will have to take it day by day. Going to be hiking Mount Humphreys in Arizona tomorrow.

birdhead

by birdhead » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:56 am

I was up on Santa Fe Baldy today and the smoke was not very noticeable. Also, for what it's worth, there was no snow on the route and things are melting fast elsewhere in NM due to unusually high temperatures right now.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:52 pm

birdhead wrote:I was up on Santa Fe Baldy today and the smoke was not very noticeable. Also, for what it's worth, there was no snow on the route and things are melting fast elsewhere in NM due to unusually high temperatures right now.

Similar report from Venado, Latir, and Little Costilla Peaks. Actually, the skies were very clear. Could see all the way to the Crestone group in Colorado.

no avatar
xthine

by xthine » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Checked mountain forecast but just wanted to know if anyone has been up Wheeler lately? Planning on going next week. TIA!

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:52 pm

I was there last week - great conditions and the aspens were turning bright yellow - fantastic!

The following user would like to thank Snowslogger for this post
xthine

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)