winter ascent of Piz Badile north ridge

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
climbnplay

winter ascent of Piz Badile north ridge

by climbnplay » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:43 am

Hello - my partner and I just made a winter ascent of the north ridge of Piz Badile. We climbed for 18 hrs and made a bivouac within one rope's length from the summit and summited early next morning. It was our first time on this mountain and my first time to Bregaglia. We tried to find some information online prior to our attempt (history and topo info) but we didn't find much on winter ascents of the north ridge - only according to summitpost that the first winter ascent was in "1964 by Aldo Anghileri, Casimiro Ferrari, and Giuseppe Negri." Does anyone know some history about climbing this classic route in the winter? We would be very curious to read others' trip reports about difficulty, condition etc. We had mostly very loose and thin layer of snow plastered on slabs, which made some sections quite spicy and interesting...especially in the dark. Our planned descent was rappelling via the same route, but we could not find many of the anchors, so we decided to make the long way down the south side to Val di Mello and hitch hiked back to our car in Bondo. We will write up a trip report soon. Greetings!

ExcitableBoy

Re: winter ascent of Piz Badile north ridge

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:50 pm

climbnplay wrote:Hello - my partner and I just made a winter ascent of the north ridge of Piz Badile.

Are you talking about this year, because it is not winter yet this year. If you 'just' made an ascent, you made a late fall ascent.

no avatar
climbnplay

Re: winter ascent of Piz Badile north ridge

by climbnplay » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Ya technically you are right :) but I was more interested in knowing if there is some information (trip reports etc.) out there that someone might know about. I would like to know what others have thought about the ridge in what kind of conditions and which way they chose, but thanks for pointing that out - we are going back next week for the proper northeast face in "calendar winter time."

Return to Europe