Planning Wheeler Peak NM

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Will5183

Planning Wheeler Peak NM

by Will5183 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm planning to bag Wheeler Peak NM in February 2017. I'm an experienced hiker, winter gear is not an issue. I'm looking for waypoints I can use for my route, I fully expect any trail will be buried under feet of snow and I'll have to navigate on my own. Any advice folks have for doing Wheeler in winter is much appreciated, this is the highest peak I'll attempt in full winter conditions. I see in my readings that the Williams Lake route is the shortest, however there is some concern about avalanche risk. My preference is to take the Williams Lake route anyway, is this really dumb?
Thoughts and past experience for a 13'er in the snow?
Thank you very much.

Will

Bark Eater

Re: Planning Wheeler Peak NM

by Bark Eater » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:20 pm

There can be significant avy danger from Williams Lake. It all depends on the conditions. Suggest checking with the ski patrol at the area nearby prior to your climb. They should know. The Bull trail would be safer but also much longer and exposed along the ridge.

seano

Re: Planning Wheeler Peak NM

by seano » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Indeed, check on conditions closer to your date. It has been an unusually warm and dry winter down here so far. If this continues, you might almost be able to do it in trail runners.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Will5183

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)