Updated Fourteeners Elevations

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
boyblue

Re: Updated Fourteeners Elevations

by boyblue » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:50 am

desainme wrote:Since Mt. Whitney is thought to be about 10 feet higher than in former years (national geodetic folks say 14,505 ft), isn't it the case that Mt. Barnard is now a 14,000 ft. mtn?

In the early 20th century Mount Barnard was mapped at just over 14,000 feet. Then it was recalculated to its current 13,990 foot elevation (much to the dismay of many who'd thought they'd climbed a 14er). Now it could be over 14,000 feet again.

Isn't mountaineering hard enough without the mountains jumping up and down all the time??? :wink:

seano

by seano » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:56 am

boyblue wrote:In the early 20th century Mount Barnard was mapped at just over 14,000 feet. Then it was recalculated to its current 13,990 foot elevation (much to the dismay of many who'd thought they'd climbed a 14er). Now it could be over 14,000 feet again.

Isn't mountaineering hard enough without the mountains jumping up and down all the time??? :wink:

Someone should build a big-ass cairn on top and put the question to rest. Or dynamite it, I guess... ;-)

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
boyblue

Diesel

by Diesel » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:
chicagotransplant wrote:I was trying imagine how many peaks there were in Colorado. "My goodness, there must be THOUSANDS of peaks in Colorado!"
He looked a me very puzzled, and replied, "No, there are only fifty four."

Man, what the hell? You should've said a warning after "True Story "; I was drinking coffee and when I got to the end of the story I burst in laugher, coffee spilled everywhere!

I hope you found a better partner that that one.

spiderman

by spiderman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:47 am

Grizzly Peak is not a 14er yet. Using the current definition of mean sea level, we measured an elevation of 13,994.1 +/-1.0’. Sunlight Spire is not ranked, but might count as an unranked 14er. Unfortunately we didn't make it to the top. A sprained hand made the last 15 meters a bit too tough. Perhaps another year we will return with the Trimble GPS unit to get an accurate reading.

Changes to the Geoid model of the earth's surface makes it difficult to keep up with elevations. My feeling is to standardize the elevations and not change them even as we do adjustments to the definition of sea level. We could lose so many great peaks if the government makes a minor correction.

The following user would like to thank spiderman for this post
Scott

Previous

Return to Colorado