Julian Alps in April

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Vulcan

Julian Alps in April

by Vulcan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi all,

My climbing team is planning a trip to the eastern Alps between the 1st and 15th of April, this year. We're looking for a moderate, alpine route(s) that would be in condition. I know couloirs are probably out, but classic face/ridge climbs in the PD/PD+/AD range would be great, especially if the climbs involve glacier travel and the potential for a high camp.

I've already taken a look at Großglockner and Triglav but have no idea what to expect "between" seasons there.

Any info at all is much appreciated!

no avatar
borutmez

Re: Julian Alps in April

by borutmez » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:49 am

HI
Start of April can be still very good in Slovenia, but in the case that here will be quite hot like more then 20C in the valley then contition can be quite wet. I climb Triglav north wall (Slovenian route-easier one) even durin 1st of May. You can still get some good ridge or couloir on north side. Also you can find some interest stuff in Jezersko region, Martuljek, Mangart. Anyway you must be very early in the morning in that time of the year. If you want I can give you some more info. You could ask even late in March when we will see how is with snow. This year the snow come very late and not to much. Maybe we can even meet somewhere and do some good route together.

osbourne

Re: Julian Alps in April

by osbourne » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Be very careful of avalanches! Take a look daily reports here
http://meteo.arso.gov.si/met/sl/weather ... avalanche/

Maybe you can consider something more safe such as Debela pec ridge with amazing views:)

Return to Europe