Rae Lakes Loop walk-up permits

Find climbing partners in California
no avatar
Joao

Rae Lakes Loop walk-up permits

by Joao » Tue May 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi everyone.

I am new to the site and would like to say hello... and of course, take the opportunity to solve some questions.

Me and my wife are planning on doing the Rae Lakes Loop in the last weeks of July. Although we have zero experience hiking the Sierra, we do have been into multiple multi-day hikes in several other regions.
The fact is we didn't plan in advance and could not secure the required permits. Soooooo... we will be trying to get a walk-up permit. The plan is to drive to the park on a Saturday to be in the line for a permit early on Sunday and start the hike on Monday.
The big question is:

How early should we be at the Roads End permit office to score the walk-up permits (for the 2 of us)?

I heard horror stories of people "sleeping" in the line to be able to secure permits in Yosemite! Is that necessary for Rae Lakes? I know it is very popular.
Guys at SEKI didn't want to give us any estimate.
If we don't get the permits, what plan B multi-day hike would you suggest? Wife is not in the better shape... so nothing to strenuous.

Any insights will be highly appreciated!
We are planning on doing it in 6 days - with a full day stop at the Rae lakes when we think of doing the 60 lakes basin.

Cheers

Joao

Return to US - California