Rush Creek Trail Closed Until Fall

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fedak

Rush Creek Trail Closed Until Fall

by fedak » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:25 am

The Inyo National Forest, through a forest order, is closing segments of the Rush Creek Trail for public safety from June 30, 2017 through September 1, 2017.

The wet winter of 2016-2017, with more than 180% of average annual precipitation and close to 200% of average runoff forecast, has exacerbated safety concerns for dams within the Rush Creek Hydroelectric System (RCHS) on the Inyo National Forest. The extreme water year means water levels will likely exceed seismic safety ratings for a period of more than 25 days in Waugh Reservoir. The RCHS is currently operated by Southern California Edison under a license with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

The forest order prohibits:

• Being within 800 feet of Rush Creek, from its intersection with the Waugh Lake Dam, then east to its intersection with Gem Lake, as shown on the attached map. 36 CFR 261.53(e).

• Being on the National Forest System trails listed below and shown on the attached map.

• Rush Creek Trail from a point 750 feet north of its intersection with Clark Lakes Trail, then west to a point 528 feet west of its intersection with Weber Lake Trail.

• Clark Lakes Trail from its intersection with Rush Creek trail, then south 1600 feet.

• Spooky Meadows Trail from its intersection with Rush Creek Trail, then south to its intersection with the Ansel Adams Wilderness Boundary below Spooky Meadow.

• Weber Lake Trail from its intersection with Rush Creek Trail, then south 1500 feet.
This closure affects access to popular destinations such as Thousand Island Lake, the John Muir Trail, and the Pacific Crest Trail.

Visitors who hold a wilderness permit reservation made prior to June 30th for entry at the Rush Creek Trailhead should call the Wilderness Permit Office at (760) 873-2483 to cancel their reservation or reserve an alternate trailhead. The exception is for hikers (both day and overnight) whose destination is Gem Lake or the Alger Lake Trail.

Hikers, including PCT thru-hikers, cannot exit via the Rush Creek Trail and need to make alternate plans for exit and resupply.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
Deb, mrchad9

mrchad9

Re: Rush Creek Trail Closed Until Fall

by mrchad9 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Wow.

And this makes me want to go there lol. Sort of like the old warning in the Yosemite leaflet not to go into Tenaya Canyon.

Deb

by Deb » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:46 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Wow.

And this makes me want to go there lol. Sort of like the old warning in the Yosemite leaflet not to go into Tenaya Canyon.

HAHA!! Really! It's "roped" off. Helos flying back and forth to the dam at Gem Lake (I would presume), so pretty sure you'll get caught. :twisted:
As a minor tidbit of information - the paddle boarding on Silver Lake is AWESOME right now! Even get to glide over dirt roads and picnic tables!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Oh helo patrols is not a good variable... booo....

colinr

by colinr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Hmmmm...I think the closure area could be bypassed and plausible permits could be obtained (if concerned about a permit) by anyone determined. The closure section isn't exactly prime fun territory. Neither is lower Rush Creek trail. The helos probably have little or nothing to do with the forest service. I wouldn't necessarily describe the helos as patrolling. They are making runs to drop equipment and workers for dam upgrade projects. They were working Agnew Lake when I passed through. There was caution tape on my way in and out across some sections of track. There were workers with radios supervising the upper tracks on my way out. I walked on the tracks all the way up and briefly (once out of sight and beyond the tape) on the way down. I'm not sure what signage/tape may have been added at the closure points higher up after my visit. Album here:

https://goo.gl/photos/zd3GckUTVe3sc72JA

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 am

fedak

by fedak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Open again with the exception of Spooky Meadow:
https://www.facebook.com/inyonf/photos/ ... =3&theater

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Return to California