Is Hood Doable in August?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
deungsan

Is Hood Doable in August?

by deungsan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 pm

I've searched websites and forums for info on what Hood is like now in July and what it might be like in August.

Reason is I will be in the vicinity in mid August and wouldn't mind climbing Hood again. I know it's not generally recommended then because of rockfall, but I'm wondering if conditions this year might have made that different. Thanks!

cycle61

Re: Is Hood Doable in August?

by cycle61 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:23 pm

My understanding is that with the heavy snowpack last year, it's still good to go if you start early enough. I'll be up there this weekend and will report back with what we find.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Mid August is pretty late for Hood. If it isn't in condition, consider Adams or even Baker or Rainier. The north side of Shasta is pretty good in August too and is no more technical than Hood.

msumountainman

by msumountainman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 pm

August is pretty late for Hood but it all depends on the snowfall amount in the particular year. About 15 years ago, I climbed Hood with friends on July 31st and it was one of the scariest climbs I've had. A group descended shortly after us and were knocking a shower of rocks down on top of us. I wound up with numerous bruises and had a large rock whiz within inches of my face. I had to climb back up to scream at the idiots to stop until we got further down. I couldn't believe how oblivious they were to the fact they were endangering our lives. I will never do a late summer ascent of Hood after that experience. Late spring/early summer is a much better experience on Hood.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 pm

msumountainman wrote: it was one of the scariest climbs I've had.

D,
Don't forget your helmet(s). :)
Best of luck and let us know how it goes..
JM

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Scott wrote:Mid August is pretty late for Hood. If it isn't in condition, consider Adams or even Baker or Rainier. The north side of Shasta is pretty good in August too and is no harder than Hood.

lol that is a good one Scott.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:22 am

msumountainman wrote:August is pretty late for Hood but it all depends on the snowfall amount in the particular year.

My general rule is that past past May is too late for Hood. That saying, we have enjoyed a 240% of normal snowpack this year, much of it early season snow (which is a good thing) and this has been a relatively cool July. August may be ok for Hood this year, but I would not bet $1.00 on that. You can always hike up the Hogsback and see how the rockfall is and make a decision there. Still a nice alpine hike under the chair lifts.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:23 am

Scott wrote:Mid August is pretty late for Hood. If it isn't in condition, consider Adams or even Baker or Rainier. The north side of Shasta is pretty good in August too and is no harder than Hood.

South Side of Adams is a natural given its close proximity to Hood. Don't expect much snow.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:25 am

cycle61 wrote:My understanding is that with the heavy snowpack last year, it's still good to go if you start early enough. I'll be up there this weekend and will report back with what we find.

Good luck, maybe that Patagonia pack will bring you some good mojo. Great meeting you and April, next year we should definitely do Rainier.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:12 am

mrchad9 wrote:

I'm not sure which part you are referring to. I have done the Hotlum Bolam route on the north side in August and it was pretty good then. Usually it is (that's wht we did that route in August). Is this the part you are referring to?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Scott wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

I'm not sure which part you are referring to. I have done the Hotlum Bolam route on the north side in August and it was pretty good then. Usually it is (that's wht we did that route in August). Is this the part you are referring to?

No Scott. Shasta is pretty good in August. The funny part is saying a peak that is 3000 feet higher and involves a good bit more elevation gain is no harder. When you are halfway up Shasta you can look up at how far you have left to go... and think about if you were on Mount Hood you would already be heading back down.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:02 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Scott wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

No Scott. Shasta is pretty good in August. The funny part is saying a peak that is 3000 feet higher and involves a good bit more elevation gain is no harder. When you are halfway up Shasta you can look up at how far you have left to go... and think about if you were on Mount Hood you would already be heading back down.

I see. I meant from a technical standpoint. I"ll change the post to clarify this. The Hotlum Bolam is indeed longer with more elevation gain. In mid-August, I'd definitely choose Shasta (the north side at least) over Hood.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 pm

I think even the south side and east side routes will still be ok by late August this year. Only the ridges lacking snow.

Yes there are routes where they are about the same from a technical standpoint. But at lot more would find Hood as an easy daytrip than Shasta.

deungsan

by deungsan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks, everyone, for weighing in.

Is it fair to say human-induced rockfall is the main threat? It then might follow that avoiding busy weekends could help.

Or is it natural rockfall? In that case, August would just be something to avoid.

cycle61

by cycle61 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:48 am

Our team just got back down. Conditions up high are shit. Old chute/mazama route avalanched two weeks ago, and is now 700' of 70 degree ice and slush. Took several hours to safely climb and descend. Ended up being nearly 16 hour day from Timberline.

The following user would like to thank cycle61 for this post
Jesus Malverde

Next

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)