Khumbu Cough Tips

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
stel87

Khumbu Cough Tips

by stel87 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:50 pm

I'm relatively new to trekking/mountaineering having only completed an Intro to Mountaineering course with Yamnuska Mountain Adventures in October (great program) and done some day hiking at altitude in the Rockies and Swiss Alps. I am interested in heading to Everest Base Camp and have come across the Khumbu Cough (high altitude cough) in my research. I would be interested to hear any experiences as well as tips on prevention and treatment. Are balaclavas/neck warmers and lozenges the only way to go?

Thank you.

cab

Re: Khumbu Cough Tips

by cab » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Try to keep a buff over your mouth and neck as much as possible. It will prevent dust from getting in and add a little humidity and warmth to the cold, dry air.

The following user would like to thank cab for this post
stel87, tigerlilly, Yank-Tank

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am

I hear that is called that because of the smoke in some of the huts around the area on the way up there is so brutal.

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:40 pm

The Khumbu Cough isn't specific to that region. It happens to lots of people trekking in Nepal. I developed a pretty annoying cough while doing the Annapurna Circuit. After that, I could see how people climbing big peaks have been known to crack ribs from coughing so hard. I heard lots of other coughing in the huts at night, so I can tell you that I was by no means the only one. I've heard that wearing something over your mouth will help to retain moisture and limit the cold, dry air entering your lungs as you start to breathe progressively harder and harder. The trekking guide I had recommended getting a prescription of a cough suppressant with codeine. Of course, I read this after my trek, but it seems to be good advice. If you can't score a prescription from a physician in the States, you can often get inexpensive meds in Bangkok if you travels take you there first. All the Brits I met bought their anti-malarials there, and for MUCH less than you'd pay for at home.

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue