underrated

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Basham

underrated

by Basham » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Is mountaineering underrated? Your opponent is nature. It's possibly the most physically demanding of all. You don't get a ring for success. You don't have sponsors. It's not on TV. It's funded by the people who do it. It's probably the only sport that is done on every continent. It, in my opinion, is by far the most rewarding of all sports.

Jesus Malverde

Re: underrated

by Jesus Malverde » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Bash,
Apparently you are in good company..

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
― Ernest Hemingway

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
Basham

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 am

Basham wrote:Is mountaineering underrated? Your opponent is nature. It's possibly the most physically demanding of all. You don't get a ring for success. You don't have sponsors. It's not on TV. It's funded by the people who do it. It's probably the only sport that is done on every continent. It, in my opinion, is by far the most rewarding of all sports.

Not sure about the most physically demanding, don't forget about the ultra runners and the only reason that you don't have sponsors is because you probably aren't good enough, but many people do.

This is the thing about climbers, they all think they are hot stuff, but really it is just another sport.

Also not so sure where you come from but it is on tv here in my country.

I climb, but I climb solo and try to stay away from other climbers (weird crew). Most of them are way overly sensitive.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm

I don't think there is anything at all accurate about the opening post.

Certainly there are more demanding sports... mountaineering is only as demanding as you make it. And there are countless great athletes who are not mountaineers who are far superior to many who we would consider mountaineers. Whether it is on TV or not is only a reflection on how boring or not it is to watch someone else do it. And I think winning the Stanley Cup would be more rewarding than reaching the top of a mountain. Certainly there are more people who would have sex with you for doing it.

Basham

by Basham » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:06 am

That was more of a question and my opinion.
Last edited by Basham on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:58 am

who are far superior to many who we would consider mountaineers

No one is superior to mountaineers. :wink:

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Basham, Daria

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Superior athletes I should have said.

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm

mrchad9 wrote: And I think winning the Stanley Cup would be more rewarding than reaching the top of a mountain.

Good point, but unless that mountain is Gasherbrum IV or K2, at least for a mountaineer.
I also don't consider mountaineering a sport. I consider it adventure.

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Some of these gym rats who make great athletes are afraid to go for a walk in the woods let alone climb a tall mountain.

The following user would like to thank Woodswalker for this post
Basham

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Woodswalker wrote:Some of these gym rats who make great athletes are afraid to go for a walk in the woods let alone climb a tall mountain.

I once tried to lead 30+ adult black belts up a North Sierra peak; the first (and last) time I have ever officially "guided." They looked at the final third-class summit move and they ALL called it a day. Confucius say: Black Belt does not necessarily make good mountaineer. :)

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Jesus Malverde wrote:
Woodswalker wrote:Some of these gym rats who make great athletes are afraid to go for a walk in the woods let alone climb a tall mountain.

I once tried to lead 30+ adult black belts up a North Sierra peak; the first (and last) time I have ever officially "guided." They looked at the final third-class summit move and they ALL called it a day. Confucius say: Black Belt does not necessarily make good mountaineer. :)

Did you jump in the ring with them?

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Most people don't like it because 99% of Mountain climbing is just boring walking.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Yank-Tank looks a little bit like Conor McGregor.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:Did you jump in the ring with them?

Nope. FWIW, I've only done 13 rounds but once in my life. It beat the shit out me. Never again. :)
But, every time I think about those Black Belts doing that x-country approach it reminds me of this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

Mea culpa, it's a slow day and I'm stuck in front of the screen...

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 pm

Yank-Tank wrote:
Basham wrote:Is mountaineering underrated? Your opponent is nature. It's possibly the most physically demanding of all. You don't get a ring for success. You don't have sponsors. It's not on TV. It's funded by the people who do it. It's probably the only sport that is done on every continent. It, in my opinion, is by far the most rewarding of all sports.

Not sure about the most physically demanding, don't forget about the ultra runners and the only reason that you don't have sponsors is because you probably aren't good enough, but many people do.

This is the thing about climbers, they all think they are hot stuff, but really it is just another sport.

Also not so sure where you come from but it is on tv here in my country.

I climb, but I climb solo and try to stay away from other climbers (weird crew). Most of them are way overly sensitive.

I agree with the ultra running. I'm an ultra runner/mountaineer and don't know many general mountaineers who clear 20,000ft of gain sub 30hrs who aren't also trail runners. Ultra running has made nearly every peak in the lower 48(not every route) basically a day trip for me.

Next

Return to General