Nepal oct/nov06

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
toaster

by toaster » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:05 pm

Thanks, so would it be better to have American money or rupees, or some of both? I was planning on getting myself some walking poles in the bazaar but have read it might be cheaper to get them in KTM and that I might be able to find some second hand stuff. I ordered the national geographic map of the base camp trek to help me locate everything instead of having to look on the net all the time. Also when you mentioned plenty of teahouses and the such along the way. In the bigger villages are there "grocery stores" to buy some snacks and food (bread and such) if the higher lodges are closed and I needed to camp.

Also, if I am going to camp, can I put up the tent pretty much anywhere (without destroying vegetation if there are still some higher up)?

Also 20$ for the ecolodge seems kind of steep but I guess after a few days of trekking getting a good night of sleep might be worth the 20$. But I'm sure the smaller and cheaper places will be enough for me.

Also, do you have to reserve for the lodges or there are always places for the trekkers?

toaster

by toaster » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:34 pm

I just got back from the stores to look at tents and many people seem to think a good 3 season tent would be enough for the hike up( I am planning on maybe sleeping in a tent instead of the teahouses but I would still go eat at the lodges.

I have looked at the tents and the North face Solo 12 seems good and light but do you think it would be warm enough once I get higher up the mountain? (Just trying to get a 3rd opinion on this)

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/ope ... model=AZC4

or a small 4 season like this :
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 2990845484

which one would you go for?

Also, are there a lot of animals up there? Would I have to keep my backpack away from the tent or I shouldn't have to worry too much about it?

As for water, plenty of places to fill up? 2 liters enough? Bring some Iode pills to clean water?

etower

by etower » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:53 am

I was wondering how much this would cost you Toaster if you dont mind asking. That sound like that would be a good time.

toaster

by toaster » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:42 am

etower wrote:I was wondering how much this would cost you Toaster if you dont mind asking. That sound like that would be a good time.

I don't mind you asking but I don't think I understand which cost you would like to know?

toaster

by toaster » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks scott, appreciate the help

etower

by etower » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:59 pm

How much total without the plane ticket would this trip run you. That would be one hell of a trip to go on.

toaster

by toaster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:10 am

etower wrote:How much total without the plane ticket would this trip run you. That would be one hell of a trip to go on.

oh well I'll be doing some volunteer work with RCDP Nepal for a while and then heading into the mountains for who knows how long! Nepal is a very cheap place to go to; it's getting there that is expensive. My guess is about 2000$ CAD maybe without the plane and equipment I already had.

etower

by etower » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:29 am

what type of volunteer work will you be doing with RCDP Nepal. This trip is on my to do list before i move out. The money part not really that bad in all. Im thinking of going to Egypt Great Pyramids or EV base camp next year. EV base camp is looking better since all that bombings going on over there. thanks for your input ETOWER

toaster

by toaster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:13 am

I'm still torn between the conservation work and teaching English. I have to make up my mind soon though.
If you want more info look here :
http://www.rcdpnepal.com/

or msg me if you still have questions!

Previous

Return to Asia