Aconcagua - book now or in Argentina?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Ario

by Ario » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:16 am

Hum… :oops: sorry I’m a bit late on this one…
My humble opinion as far as sleeping bag rating is to go with a “extreme temp. rating” of –25C + silk liner…or – 20C + silk liner + your soft-shell 8). For info I had a bag with “extreme temp. rating” of – 27C with out any liner, and slept with my soft-shell when I was in Berlin. :?
Down jacket ? I was among those lucky guys who summited in one of those rare days when temp @ the summit is positive (in C) :D , had just 2 T-shirts and a micro-polar :wink: … yet, I vote for the down jacket !
1- The “Marca expedition” of the Spanish sports celebrities reached the top just 2 days before me. Back in Berlin Juanito Oiarzabal who led the expedition (with Juan Vallejo) told me they had about –20C the whole day and snow deep to the knees in the Canaleta…:shock:
2- If not during the climb, you’ll definitely appreciate the comfort of your down jacket (or its synthetic equivalent) @ the camp in Nido (5300m) or Berlin (5900m) while being static and acclimating. You can easily face –10C in the day at those altitudes. Just imagine exiting your sleeping bag in the night and hitting –25C to go pee (better have a pee-bottle though :lol: ) or to vomit (it can happen to anyone :( ) !!

For info I measured a mini of –11C inside my tent in Nido and a mini of –11 in the shelter in Berlin.

Que te vaya bien companero !

Ario

by Ario » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:27 am

Jim ! :o
Que tal la vida ?!
Do you remember the solo guy you met during your courtesy visit to Rudi Para’s outpost @ Plaza de Mulas, in January this year ?

Previous

Return to South America