Radios on Aconcagua

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
windbreaker

Radios on Aconcagua

by windbreaker » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:59 am

Does anyone know what radio frequencies are used on Aconcagua? Are they "marine" frequenies. I guess what I really want to know is what kind of radio will work. Thanks

jimnylander

by jimnylander » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:39 pm

Are you interested in radio freq. that will work with rangers and mule services?
If so.... Ham radio freq are the way to go. However, you will need to have your radio modifiied unless you have a license to operate.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:15 am

I didn't see many radios on Aconcagua last year. This year I've decided to take at satellite phone (for business reasons only) that I rented from my friend Andy Cool at Explorer Satellite Communications in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

www.explorersatellite.com.

I'm sure my fellow climbers will get a thrill calling loved ones from the 19,200' camp or, hopefully, the summit at 22,840'.

William Marler

by William Marler » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:38 am

Hi. In past years we used small Yamaha radios with extra long antennas. We would put in the frequency of the park rangers who would relay messages to our mule providers. Say we had summited and returned to camp 2. We could radio down and arrange for our mules to arrive in base camp when we needed. Sat phones have been a big improvement on this. You can speak directly to your mule guy. Radios always were line of sight and you had to go stand as close as possible to a sight line to base camp and the weather conditions had to be good or you could not get through. We used to schedule regular contacts to get weather ect. But these always were touch and go. Half the time we did not get through. The other half were usually helpful though. Sat phones are better.

windbreaker

by windbreaker » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:42 am

Thanks for the replys. I guess Sat phones are the way to go. For what you pay to rent one you can buy a nice little radio from Radio Shack. However, if they dont work I guess its a false economy isnt it? :?

Return to South America