High non-technical mountains?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Alex Hiker

High non-technical mountains?

by Alex Hiker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:41 am

Could anyone advise me please about high mountains with non-technical routes anywhere in South America?
Under high I mean 5900 m (19500 ft) and higher.
Under non-technical I mean:
1. No ice climbing with all its crevasses and other hazards.
2. No rock climbing.
3. No harness, ropes, and so on required.
4. May be occasional crampons.

I understand that Aconcagua satisfies all the criteria mentioned, but what else?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

William Marler

by William Marler » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:14 pm

First one that comes to mind is the "Normal" or Inca route on Mercedario in Argentina.
That climb is similar to Aconcagua (with no people). Not sure if the mining road has reopened (wiped out last year) so access may be limited.

There are many others of course. Corax would be of help here.
Cheers William

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:23 pm

Take a look at the Arequipa area volcanos. There should be at least 2 or 3 that fit those requirements.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:33 pm

I believe most of the peaks in the Puna de Atacama fit that catagory:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/17 ... acama.html

See all the attached pages to the one above.

Faster

Should fit the bill

by Faster » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:00 am

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:39 am

So, I gather you like long, boring snow slogs? Chachani in southern Peru fits the bill, although it tops 6k slightly. Personally, I can't imagine why on earth someone would want to trudge up this frozen choss pile (did it myself for some dumbass reason) when there are so many more interesting things to climb in Peru, but to each his own.
Why the animus toward technical climbing? If you don't have the skills or experience, consider a guided climb. The difference between a moderately technical peak and a some hump of rock you can walk up can be orders of magnitude. It could even be a life changing experience. It was for me.

no avatar
Alex Hiker

Re: Should fit the bill

by Alex Hiker » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:26 am

Faster wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/151943/pissis.html
The following is the quote from the link you provided: "The peak is one of the most heavily glaciated peaks in the Puna and one of the few where crampons are a necessity". It looks like it IS technical (from the glaciers stand point).

MichaelJ wrote:So, I gather you like long, boring snow slogs? Chachani in southern Peru fits the bill, although it tops 6k slightly. Personally, I can't imagine why on earth someone would want to trudge up this frozen choss pile (did it myself for some dumbass reason) when there are so many more interesting things to climb in Peru, but to each his own.
Why the animus toward technical climbing? If you don't have the skills or experience, consider a guided climb. The difference between a moderately technical peak and a some hump of rock you can walk up can be orders of magnitude. It could even be a life changing experience. It was for me.
I don't have enough skills and experience, but have some. From my limited experience, technical climb is more about adrenaline than I would like to accept. I would prefer rather physical exercise and altitude than extra adrenaline.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Contrary to your definition, glacier walk-ups are not considered technical. Usually rock climbing or front-pointing are what define a climb as technical. Glacier walk-ups are also not usually an adrenaline thing. Doing one of the easier glacier climbs with a guide would be a good way to learn something new.

no avatar
Alex Hiker

by Alex Hiker » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:50 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Contrary to your definition, glacier walk-ups are not considered technical. Usually rock climbing or front-pointing are what define a climb as technical. Glacier walk-ups are also not usually an adrenaline thing. Doing one of the easier glacier climbs with a guide would be a good way to learn something new.
I agree, but does Glacier walk-up imply crevasses possibility? If yes, it would require ropes and so on.

hikerman99

by hikerman99 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:07 pm

I look for the same kind of mountains as you do. Ramada at about 21,000 ft. in Argentina is relatively safe with no glaciers and no really steep sections and campsites that are perhaps less exposed to severe winds that some of the other options. I didn't use crampons or an ice axe, though bringing at least crampons in case of a few icy patches is highly advisable. See my recent trip report. It is just south of Mercedario (by the way, the road to Mercedario is reportedly open again). I have read that Tupungato at about 21,500 ft. is not bad either.

Bob

Return to South America