strolling

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
ExploretheWorld

strolling

by ExploretheWorld » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:30 am

can you just a walk right into Mexico? Say, from, some strange place in the desert?

robot one

by robot one » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:09 am

Yes. But be careful to not get caught coming back.

ExploretheWorld

by ExploretheWorld » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:01 am

just go through customs, unless your carrying a huge bag of maryjane

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:21 am

pearson wrote:That one was built by an American chemcial company that mines feldspar on the mexican side. They don't mine it in the US because the pollution controls are too stringent. From Mexico they dump shit straight into the river.

What kind of pollution can you get from mining feldspar? I'd guess the silt that naturally enters the Rio Grande is half feldspar, or clay derived from weathering of feldspar. Was there something else about the mine?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:35 pm

pearson wrote:It was fluorospar, not feldspar.

That makes more sense, since feldspar is so common; but I still wonder how this caused polution, unless there were small amounts of sulfides in the deposits, or it was just silt that washed down from the tailings pile. CaF2 itself is quite inert.

I live in a state where mining companies dump tens of million pounds of NaHCN and CaHCN on the ground every year. That's pollution I can understand.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean